Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Holland

Novice

Hi from Holland

Hi All,

I started with Scotch some years ago, and during a Whisky festival in Holland stumbled onto Blanton Gold which i liked very much! Since then i've had an interest for Bourbon as well which is now really taking off because i've planned to start my holiday to the US at the KBF '09, and travel onwards to Jack and George in Tennessee. Because of that holdiday i've decided to do some reasearch here on the forum and with the actual liquer as well , i've bought some bottles that are highly recommended in gereral on this forum. So far i really like the OWA Antique 7, WT8 101, Blanton Gold, GTS'08 and the Sazerac Rye (about 6yr if i'm correct).

My question(s) is/are about the KBF '09, which tours do you recommend and which festivities should i book? I really want to visit as many distilleries as possible and taste as much varieties of Bourbon, Rye and other Whiskey. Is the festival similar like Whisky festivals in Europe where you are able to buy drams from bottlings you like to taste or are rare (like the various one offs from Buffalo Trace), or is it 'only' the standard bottlings that are available? There isn't much info about this on the festival site itself.
    Also, which places are recommended to stay (i'm sort of a backpacker), so far i've only booked my flightticket.

PS I arrive on wednessday evening, so i miss the first bit of the festival ;(.

Will be back regurarly for research, fun reading, asking questions, etc.

Kind Regards,
    EMalt

Enthusiast

Re: Hi from Holland

Welcome to the board. You'll learn lots here. And a vacation to the KBF is a great idea!
    The Buffalo Trace Hard Hat tour is a great tour, but to fully appreciate it, you should do the regular tour (at any distillary) first. Or not. Some distilleries offer better tous than others. Maker's Mark also has a good tour.

Emalt

Welcome aboard I'm trying to go to my first KBF as well this year. The one thing I can tell you is you need to get a hotel room booked ASAP or you won't get one. I wish I had a lot of info for you but I don't I like you am looking forward to the tours.

I hope you like the site here there's lots of information about bourbon just ask away. We won't hold the scotch drinking against you this time I'm sure someone can answer your questions about the KBF and have fun on the site.

Paul
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Welcome to the site Emalt. I can help some with the KBF. All the distilleries offer great tours. My personal favorites are Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill and Four Roses. Most, if not all the distilleries have small tastings at the end of their tours. Usually you can buy bottles too, but there are a couple of good liquor stores in Bardstown that for the most part are a little cheaper. As far as a hotel, most everything in Bardstown itself is probably almost full, or completely booked up already. You'll have to do a search on the internet. My first trip there two years ago, I ended up staying 20 miles away because we waited too long to get a reservation. As far as festivities, you're really on your own there. If one interests you, give it a try. Again, try to get your tickets or reservations in as soon as possible or you might miss out. The KBF probably isn't like whiskey festivals that you describe. Some of the special activities are sponsored specifically by individual distilleries. They will have their bourbons there. The only one where I believe all the distilleries will be represented is the Grand Gala. It's a black tie party Friday night.

I'm not going to recommend any bourbons. The ones you have so far are just fine. Anyway, hope I've helped a bit. Good luck, and keep posting. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Welcome EMalt. You won't be the only Dutchman at the festival. There is one who comes regularly, but he lives in Switzerland now.

KBF is nothing like a Scotch festival, however you'll probably see a few familiar faces. The distilleries are totally different, using columnar stills (except for Woodford Reserve). Stills like you are used to seeing are called doublers or thumpers here.

Not only should you make your motel reservations early, you should also start booking the events you wish to attend. The gala has already been described (black tie) so I'll try to describe a few others. The Four Roses breakfast is, in my opinion, a must make. A delicious breakfast buffet, a great tour, an excellent discussion of bourbon distilling by the master distiller, and some great sampling of premium boutbons after the tour. Jim Beam presents a cooking school where they serve cocktails instead of straight bourbon, but they give a nice gift bag. Dinner is a sample of all the things they cook. Heaven Hill has Bourbon Cigars and Jazz - a dinner buffet with good music. There is plenty of bourbon available but the last couple of years they ran out of the premiums early. Wild Turkey sponsors Boots and Bourbon - a great BBQ buffet and lots of premium WT bourbons and door prizes -the music is country western. Except for the Gala, you'll see people dressed in everything from blue jeans to business suits at the other events.

Most of us stay at the General Nelson motel, but they're all booked up by now I'm sure. You must tell them you are a member of sb.com or they won't consider you. Drop by the gazebo some evening and meet some of these people in person. They're nicer in person than they are on the forum.

Look forward to meeting you in September.

Stu

Novice

Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice! I start booking a Hotel asap.

Another question: Is the Kentucky Bourbon Trail tour like doing 3 or 4 'regular' distillery visits (a tour, little tasting, etc), or 'simpeler'? I'm thinking of doing the Bardstown trail, so i can visit 3 distilleries in 1 day.
    I'll definately will be doing Let's Talk Bourbon at Four Roses (or should i take the: From corn to cork tour at Woodfort?). And i'll also do the Hard Hat tour at Buffalo Trace.
    As i'll be feeling very uncomfortable in black tie, i'll probably go to 1 of the two other events, will these also be fully booked, or are they less popular and can i decide once i'm there?

Maybe i'll meet some of you in sept.

Grtz,
    EMalt

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Another question: Is the Kentucky Bourbon Trail tour like doing 3 or 4 'regular' distillery visits (a tour, little tasting, etc), or 'simpeler'? I'm thinking of doing the Bardstown trail, so i can visit 3 distilleries in 1 day.
    [B
    I'll definately will be doing Let's Talk Bourbon at Four Roses (or should i take the: From corn to cork tour at Woodfort?).[/B] And i'll also do the Hard Hat tour at Buffalo Trace.
    As i'll be feeling very uncomfortable in black tie, i'll probably go to 1 of the two other events, will these also be fully booked, or are they less popular and can i decide once i'm there?
    Definitely 4 Roses over Woodford, but if you can do Woodford another day it would be nice. If I were only going to do one evening event, it would be boots and bourbon, but I like BBQ, country music, and WT.

EMalt The Gazebo is at the General Nelson Hotel.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Novice

Pfew, i think i've found one of the last available rooms during the festival, a 'little' above budget but then again i could have booked much earlier. And more important, my girlfriend doesn't have to be designated driver all 4 days which allows me to to drink longer into the evening .

Also, i've booked Four Roses, and The BT Hard Hat tour on saturday. It's coming along fast now!

@ P_elliot, what is The Gazebo, the best Bourbon bar in Bardstown?

Grtz,
    EMalt

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EMalt View Post
    @ P_elliot, what is The Gazebo, the best Bourbon bar in Bardstown?

Grtz,
    EMalt
    In a manner of speaking, yes. The Gazebo is an actual gazebo on the grounds of the hotel. In the evenings during KBF or the Spring Sampler, everybody brings a bottle or two or more to the Gazebo and puts them on the table for everyone to share. I've only been to one event, but it was a lot of fun and many of the past gazebo gatherings have been legendary.

I'm hoping to make it to the KBF this year but I'm not sure where I'm going to be staying at this point.

And by the way, welcome to SB.com!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog