Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Armagnac recommendations please?

Can anyone help me out with a recommendation or two for some good Armagnac that should be readily available in the US market? I'd like to buy a gift for a bourbon drinker. We've dabbled a bit in the cognac/armagnac arena, but don't have any brand knowledge. I'm lookiing for value, so price isn't important on its own but must be commensurate with quality. If I go into the liquor store blind I'll probably grab an XO or Hors d'age, but if you love a particular VSOP let me know. Thanks in advance. -Jim

Connoisseur

Re: Armagnac recommendations please?

For armagnac I like Château de Laubade.
    They have a VSOP, but I really liked their 1967!

Connoisseur

Any particular price point?

Trippah and Admin

I've had both the Delord XO 15 and Tariquet VSOP and found them both to be very complex and enjoyable pours.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac is quite good and is available in Pennsylvania for about $32.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jpact View Post
    Can anyone help me out with a recommendation or two for some good Armagnac that should be readily available in the US market? I'd like to buy a gift for a bourbon drinker. We've dabbled a bit in the cognac/armagnac arena, but don't have any brand knowledge. I'm lookiing for value, so price isn't important on its own but must be commensurate with quality. If I go into the liquor store blind I'll probably grab an XO or Hors d'age, but if you love a particular VSOP let me know. Thanks in advance. -Jim
    I like Larressingle VSOP. A little rough around the edges, but definitely not easily-mistaken for Cognac.

Nothing a bourbon drinker can't handle.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Guru

Chateau de Briat...Hors D'Age, Tariquet 1985, or The Delord X.O. would all be nice.

Taster

I stopped int he store last night and of everything listed so far I only saw a Tariquet. It was a cask strength (55&#37 8-year old for around $55-60 I think, but didn't say VSOP on the label anywhere. Is this one in the same?

Edit: Oh yeah, I did see Larressingle VSOP as well.
    Last edited by jpact; 07-07-2009 at 16:25.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jpact View Post
    I stopped int he store last night and of everything listed so far I only saw a Tariquet. It was a cask strength (55%) 8-year old for around $55-60 I think, but didn't say VSOP on the label anywhere. Is this one in the same?

Edit: Oh yeah, I did see Larressingle VSOP as well.
    What did it say on the label? I've liked all the Tariquet I've been able to taste.

Advanced Taster

I was recently lured into purchasing a bottle of 1996 Darroze Bas-Armagnac Dupont at the princely sum of $99. I pulled the trigger despite the price because I was quite excited about it being cask strength (51.1% ABV), single barrel, non-filtered, and non-colored! In my very limited brandy expereinece, specs like these are quite rare! Sounds like some of our best American whiskeys no?

Nevertheless, I was a little let down. I was and still am impressed with the "specs" but it was still a little too hot and feisty for me. The only thing I can think of is that at only 11 years old (I saw "only" because that is somewhat young for french brandies) it probably needed more time in the barrel. I know that armagnacs in general are more feisty than cognacs, but this seemed even more so compared to the few other armangacs that I have sampled.

Too bad my wallet didn't didn't let me pony up for the 15-25 year old versions from the same producer!
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter