Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: re-New from Wisconsin

Dirk, I've only noticed the acetone taste in a few high rye recipe bourbons. For some reason it seems to me that the high rye spiceyness, is sometimes accompanied by an acetone/nail polish taste. Joe

PS. By the way, in regards to bourbon, cigars, and jazz. It don't get no better than that Vern. Cheers. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    By the way, in regards to bourbon, cigars, and jazz. It don't get no better than that Vern. Cheers. Joe

Well, I don't smoke cigars--I have enough vices at the moment--but you're sure as hell right about the bourbon and jazz combo. I played a great disc tonight called "Live At Minton's" which features Johnny Griffin and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis on a set of Monk covers. Wow! Those guys were amazing sax players, and the more I got into the disc, the more VOB went down the hatch. Next up--Bill Evans and Tony Bennett. Could be a great night!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Well, I don't smoke cigars--I have enough vices at the moment--but you're sure as hell right about the bourbon and jazz combo. I played a great disc tonight called "Live At Minton's" which features Johnny Griffin and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis on a set of Monk covers. Wow! Those guys were amazing sax players, and the more I got into the disc, the more VOB went down the hatch. Next up--Bill Evans and Tony Bennett. Could be a great night!
    I planned on abstaining from bourbon tonight, but Bill Evans and Tony Bennett! Makes me want to put some jazz on and have a pour. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

I don't smoke cigars either, but I'm definitely down with a few good pours of bourbon with some good jazz records! Blanton's goes great with old Miles. WT101 is superb with Jimmy Smith.
    --
    in aqua vitae veritas
    Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    www.blueolives.com
    www.chicagopitbulls.org

Enthusiast

I think what you are smelling is the ethers from the alcohol. these should evaporate off. I will usually wait 5 minutes from pour to first sip. also Bourbon does go well with Jazz or Blues. Blue Mitchell sextet, Barcode Trio, the Roy Hargrove quintet, Charlie Haden. On the blues side John Lee Hooker is hard to beat. Also glad to have another Wisconsin boy on the forum.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain