Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Bourbon ? am I out of my league?

Ok I have just openned a bottle of Makers Mark 90 proof ....and was shocked could some please explain the different's in how the was made as to some thing like Ezra B. or Evan Williams ? I guess this only proves that I have been drinking something I know nothing about ...
    Thank You for your help .
    Bill G.

Administrator in exile

Re: Bourbon ? am I out of my league?

Bill,
    Some here will disagree, but IMHO MM is one of the finest bourbons around. To super simplify it, Makers Mark is made with a mashbill that includes red winter wheat in place of the more common rye. The company line is that the wheat makes for a smoother taste and finish. I don't know about that, as I favor several high-rye bourbons for a smoother finish, but the wheat certainly adds a different dimension. The great thing about "bourbon" is that it is just a name with a set of guidlines. What's really in the bottle is anyones guess and the only way to find out is to try as many as possible.

P.S. No you're not out of your league. Your just at the beginning of a long and fruitful journey.

Disciple

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The great thing about "bourbon" is that it is just a name with a set of guidlines. What's really in the bottle is anyones guess and the only way to find out is to try as many as possible.

[/QUOTE]

Amen to that Brotha (BLLLEEEEE!)! The beauty of bourbon is that there are so many different tastes in the "category", it is a joy to explore! I mean the difference between Ezra B, a 15 year old bourbon with a rye mashbill and Maker's Mark, a 4-6 year old bourbon with a wheated mashbill are astounding. Yet they are both still bourbon and both are great!

TomC

Advanced Taster

Well I had a bottle of EB 90 on hand so I openned that to , finish is not as sharp as the MM....I guess I have long learning cure ahead of me....
    Bill G.

Disciple

Can you possibly think of a better homework?

TomC

Advanced Taster

Except for one thing ....after 4 shots I am blizted , very low tolerance ...enjoy the taste but the mornn' after is a bottle of asperin....
    Bill cheap date

**DONOTDELETE**

Well Bill I take it by the emoticons you posted that you weren't exactly thrilled with Maker's Mark. My advise would be to cork it up and set it back on the shelf for awhile. As you taste bourbons that are new (to you) you will begin to see a trend of styles and ages that are most pleasing to you, and that's all that counts. After a bit of time you will want to revisit some of the bourbons that you mightn't have liked at first. Once you know more about bourbon and educate your palate you may find a new appreciation for those brands that turned you off at first.

Take some time and read through the tastings that have been posted. If you have a bottle of the subject bourbon on hand read and taste along with the review. If you have any questions about that particular bourbon go a head and reply to that thread as a new reply will 'bump' the thread to the top of the index no matter how old it is. Someone here will be able to answer your question or at the very least point you in the right direction.

Disciple

Water and Vitamin C, my man. . . . . . . . .Lots Of Water and vitamin C !

Tom (does not dig hangovers) C

PS If it helps you any I am a lightweight for this board (just ask Linn), I average 1 1/2 oz every other day. . . . .

Virtuoso

Nope.

Experiencing bourbon fully can take years sometimes. As Linn suggested, just put it back on the shelf and come back to it later (i.e., weeks or months, not years!).

More advice - this group here is dangerous. They will have you trying all sorts of bourbons. Just make sure you have the money to get through it all! They have bumped me from my 2 or 3 open bottles to now 17! Plus, I have five bottles in storage as backup. Lord, have mercy.

But, if you are a casual drinker, you are still very welcome here. We take any and all questions and everyone's opinion is respected, novice and expert alike. This is the most mellow and polite group I have chatted with on the Internet.

One last piece of advice. Don't mention the S word except in that dark corner of this discussion board where we tried to hide it in the Foreign Whiskey forum. :-)

Enthusiast

Re: Nope.

Chuck, At the end of your post you said not to mention the (S) word. Was that Sh*t or Sc**tch?, Oh..What a minute....they're one in the same! See ya, H'wood