Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hi from Bloomington, IN

Hi everyone! I am new to StraightBourbon.com and I just wanted to say hi. I am new to drinking Bourbon, but from what I have had, I really enjoy sitting back and sipping. I have already learned a lot from reading the forums and I look forward to reading more and more about the different types of bourbon and people's experiences with it. Since I am new to drinking bourbon if anyone has any suggestions for me, that would be great. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can about this wonderful drink.

Taster

Re: Hi from Bloomington, IN

oh, one of them, I'm also a Hoosier (but a Boilermaker by the grace of God).

welcome to the board.

For one of the best values around, I say go with Very Old Barton. If your looking for tons of flavor, two words, Rare Breed.
    "Don't let kids make your Manhattan... they use way too much vermouth."

Connoisseur

Welcome to SB. Tell us what you have had and liked and we can recommend what to try next.
    Post often and have a good time here.

Dan
    Last edited by independant; 07-01-2009 at 20:07.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Virtuoso

I see a rivalry here.

Lets keep it civil !!!!

Welcome, from another hoosier. (Notre Dame fan !!!!)

i will give you a few suggestions, but first, you need to tell us what you prefer in a bourbon.( ie. sweet, rye,high proof, easy drinker....etc.)

and feel free to post away... (12 hours from now )
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Novice

Thanks for your replies. Don't worry, I won't start any problems on SB, I'm a lover, not a fighter. Honestly, I have not had much experience with bourbon, but I tried Jim Beam's Red Stag and surprisingly really enjoyed it. I did not care for the regular Jim Beam. I also like Maker's Mark. I do not like my bourbon to burn too much. However, I am more than willing to try anything you think I would like. Thanks for the help.

GO BIG RED! Welcome aboard Chris. Sorry Kevin. Born and raised in Indy. My sister and then my nephews all went to IU. (My step-brother did go to Purdue though.) Spent quite a bit of time down around Bloomington, Bedford and Nashville.

If you don't like much burn, stay with wheated bourbons, or ones with a low rye mashbill for now. Maker's is decent, but there are a few that are less expensive and have a lot more flavor. Weller SR is a great bourbon for the money. ERSB 10/90 is around the same price as MM, but a much better bourbon IMHO. Re-read some of the post here and you'll pick up lots of other good suggestions.

Good luck on your bourbon journey. Don't worry about the burn. Once you've been at this a while, it mellows right out. I used to be a lot like you. Liked the smoother mellower stuff. My horizons have expanded a lot. I'm actually to the point now, that I've actually started to acquire a taste for a few rye whiskies. It's All Good!

Again welcome, and hope you enjoy the boards. Keep posting. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

+1 on the Weller Special Reserve !!!!!

Also, if you can swing it.... any of the Van Winkle whiskeys would suit you.

Keep us posted !!!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Novice

Thanks for your suggestions fishbowljoe and birdman1099, I will check out those bourbons when I get a chance. Hopefully, I will get a chance to check out some of these bourbons over the 4th of July weekend. Have a great 4th!

Apprentice

Welcome from another Indiana native, though I too am a Boiler, or former one, who still owes them some money.
    I too am new here, but I might suggest the Four Roses and Elijah Craig lines, it looks like Four roses is finally available in Indiana, however, I don’t know where yet, I usually make a run to KY or Il to get mine.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bigman View Post
    Welcome from another Indiana native, though I too am a Boiler, or former one, who still owes them some money.
    I too am new here, but I might suggest the Four Roses and Elijah Craig lines, it looks like Four roses is finally available in Indiana, however, I don’t know where yet, I usually make a run to KY or Il to get mine.
    I saw it several places around Indianapolis last time I was there. Check the 21st Amendment stores (best liquor store chain name ever) and Kahn's or Vine & Table in Carmel. United Package has it too I think.

Man, all these Ind. newbies. Maybe I should get a place back in 'Naptown!

And as for the university question, I didn't go to Purdue, but my father, sister, bro in law and wife all did.

Boiler.Up.
    Last edited by Josh; 07-16-2009 at 06:52.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog