Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    **DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wheated bourbons

Linn,
    Did someone doubt my honesty? I did not think so but it is good to know that I can depend on you to defend my honor as a historian. I personally believe in speaking softly and always have a good citation of your source.
    Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

Chuck,
    I have just checked Bill's autobiography and he says just about what you have said about the old recipe.
    Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

I have never heard this story before. I doubt the bankruptcy part and I know for a fact that he never worked at Stitzel-Weller so I suggest you check your source before you spread this rumor further.
    Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

No, but honesty is a commodity in short supply these days. I just wanted to stress the point that your word is as good as your research. Impeccable.(yes impeccable has two c's - I looked it up!)

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

**DONOTDELETE**

Chuck said... "I have never heard the bread story told in reference to yeast, but only in reference to the choice of flavor grain, e.g., rye v. wheat."

That's the way I understood the story, as well. I think maybe Ken is confusing it with the story of Jim Beam growing multiple wild yeast cultures on his porch (until he either found what he wanted or Mrs. Beam made him stop) when he started the distillery back up after Repeal.

"...I doubt Bill Sr. used a yeast from the old T.W. Samuels plant for one reason. Even Bill Jr. will tell you that his father quit distilling originally because he was disgusted by the product they were making there."

That might be marketing talk. Perhaps a bit of sour grapes, too. The family brand had been sold to the Foster Trading Corporation, who not only refused to sell it back but successfully sued Bill Sr. to prevent his use of "Old Samuels", his original choice for the brand name.

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Someone call Bill and ask him what is the real story!!!!!!!!!!!

boone

Apprentice

That's kida funny because I just got this email saying that he will host an online chat Dec. 5th from 5 pm to 6 pm. I have attached the email.
    Chris

Attached Files Attached Files

**DONOTDELETE**

It looks like the fates have appointed you, Chris. Participation on the Ambassador page is by invitation only. I went out to the site and it's password protected. I suppose the password was included in the email you received (please DON'T post it!). So you'll have to be the "ambassador" from StraightBourbon for us. This looks like it may become an ongoing event; perhaps you can arrange for some more of us Bourbonians to be allowed to join in?

By the way, for those who enjoy Bill Samuels' unique and humorous advertising style, the Maker's Mark website is a lot of fun. Several of the bourbon companies have websites with pretty much the same kind of stuff in them, but MM's style is as fresh and fun as the magazine ads.

Also, the bread story as quoted from the History part of the site, goes like this...

"...He then developed a new recipe based on locally grown maize (corn) and malted barley coupled with gentle winter wheat - opposed to the traditional and harsher grain, rye. Funny enough, he did this without a distillery. He baked bread in our family kitchen, experimenting with different grains to come to this conclusion"

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Enthusiast

In no way am doubting your honesty! Both Linn and Omar have vouched for your integrity. Being in marketing, it is I who am of dubious repute!

Ken

Connoisseur

The Real Story

Hurrah (I suppose it is hooray in Kentucky - just kidding) for your logic. This is not a very big industry and with about four phone calls you can find out about anything. It is true that some PR types (let's please not just call them marketers) will hide or distort the truth. But I love your sense of "just get the man on the phone" logic.

;-)

Greg