Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angels share >

Enthusiast

Angels share >

In short - does bourbon/rye have the highest evaporation or highest share given to the angels of all spirits?

I guess it comes down to a lot of variables but i know that in low humidity conditions the loss to evaporation is primarily water and in higher humidities, more alcohol than water will evaporate.

So would spirits warehoused in colder climates age longer, have less lost and be of higher alcohol content?

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Taster

Re: Angels share >

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    In short - does bourbon/rye have the highest evaporation or highest share given to the angels of all spirits?

I guess it comes down to a lot of variables but i know that in low humidity conditions the loss to evaporation is primarily water and in higher humidities, more alcohol than water will evaporate.

So would spirits warehoused in colder climates age longer, have less lost and be of higher alcohol content?
    From what I gathered from my SMS Distillery tours in Scotland 2 years ago, this is correct. This is why the low lying Islay Whiskeys are typically aged at 10 year, while Dalwhinnie, the highest (coldest and dryest) distillery in Scotland would age their standard offering for 15. The Angel's Share was far less up in the Highlands versus the sea level distilleries/warehouses like those of Talisker and Laphroaig.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

Advanced Taster

It depends on a lot of things ... but principally temperature and humidity. Higher temps and higher humidity both mean more goodies for the angels. In places like the US Virgin Islands ... home to a lot of rum ... the high heat takes the lead. Of all aged spirits I have been associated with, aged rum probably has the highest angel's share.
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The other factor, obviously, is time. Scotch routinely aged for twelve or more years loses more than bourbon aged for five or six.

Enthusiast

Speaking of Angels Share, has anyone else felt just a little light headed when in rikhouses? I am assuming that is all that "angels share" in the air. Is the airborne alcohol content inhaled into the lungs resulting in a slight buzz or am I just excited every time I am in those places?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    Speaking of Angels Share, has anyone else felt just a little light headed when in rikhouses? I am assuming that is all that "angels share" in the air. Is the airborne alcohol content inhaled into the lungs resulting in a slight buzz or am I just excited every time I am in those places?
    I've never felt a buzz but then again, I'm not spending hours in the warehouse. I do enjoy the aroma as I walk through.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Geek View Post
    It depends on a lot of things ... but principally temperature and humidity. Higher temps and higher humidity both mean more goodies for the angels. In places like the US Virgin Islands ... home to a lot of rum ... the high heat takes the lead. Of all aged spirits I have been associated with, aged rum probably has the highest angel's share.
    Interesting stuff, reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean when Johnny Depp finds that long lost stash of rum on an island.

The other factor, obviously, is time. Scotch routinely aged for twelve or more years loses more than bourbon aged for five or six.
    So obviously if Bourbon and S****h were aged for the same amount of time in their respective locations then there would be far less bourbon upon opening its cask as opposed to the S****h.

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Guru

Does the use of used barrels (for Scotch) have an impact? Are used (and re-used) barrels more porous to evaporation?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

Generally speaking, barrels do not get more or less porous with age. Scotch barrels tend to give off less angel's share for a number of reasons:

1. They are subjected to much smaller di-urnal temperature swings (hottest day in summer to clodest day in winter) than bourbon.

2. The Scotch warehouses tend to be non-ventilated, low slung, masonary buildings that tend to keep the humidity high ... much higher than bourbon.

3. Some people refer to the total spirit loss as angel's share ... really there are 2 parts to the loss ... that which evaporates thru the wood and that which soaks into the wood. As such, the users of new wood (bourbon) loose an extra 5% right off the top for soakage ... while the Scotch guys and their used barrels don't see this loss.
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Guru

I noted a buzz starting standing in the BT bottling room..the hand bottling of Blanton's gave off alot as the chap sits there and fills the bottles via a hose..the vapors were very strong...it would be interesting to measure BAC of the employees.