Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Howdy from Arlington, TX

After ten years of being told I shouldn't drink while on my medication, I find that not only am I allowed, but that a drink a day is good for me (So far, I'm up to October 17th, 2019 - evil grin), and without interferring with the medication.

So I set out to try some of the good stuff that I've been missing.

I REALLY like the Knob Hill and it's leathery, sour flavors. The Bookers 125 is not bad. I'm not impressed with Maker's Mark (aside from the really light body, it has a screw cap, and the bottle goes 'glug' when you pour...).

I am also very fond of Midleton Very Rare Irish, and MacAllan 18-YO scotch. I discovered that I am not at all impressed with Remy Martin cognac.

At a drink a day, it will likely take me a long time to work through all those bottles...

Mark Edwards

Re: Howdy from Arlington, TX

Welcome to SB Mark. If you want some helpful insights to the world of bourbon, you've come to the right place. If you check the history of some of the threads here, you'll find all kinds of hints, reviews and recommendations. Just don't let it go to your head to the point you try to push way past Oct 17th 2019. As you can see, we like to have some fun too. Hope you enjoy it here. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Welcome to straight bourbon. I see you listed only beam produces as what you liked disliked. What are some of your others?
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post
    Welcome to straight bourbon. I see you listed only beam produces as what you liked disliked. What are some of your others?
    Well, I haven't really experimented much in the month that I have been drinking again. Mostly just finished off a bottle of The Glenlivet XXV, and started in on the Midleton Very Rare, with just a drink each from the rest of my small collection.

I've been scouring the web for what other people think are good liquors, and have ended up with more bourbons than anything else.

As I don't go out to drink, I don't have a steady source of by-the-shot drinks - if I buy a bottle I don't like, I'll just have to choke it down (grin).

Mark Edwards
    --
    Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

Mark- Welcome to the site first of all! If you want to taste different things but don't want to do the bar thing or buy bottles, you could inquire at different local stores to see if they either have days for sampling or something of the sort. One store here has a full bar and you can sample whatever you want, but it's a 3 oz limit per person each time with 1oz in each pour. That's still three really hefty samples and many of the bourbons are in the $30-50 a bottle range.

Another one I frequent will open bottles for me to taste now, or check in back to see if they have any open. I wouldn't request this with anything really high end, but if you want to try different mid-priced bourbons this could be a option.

For easy-on-the-wallet priced bottles, I would try the following.

Old Weller Antique, 107 proof. 7 years old, wheated, kind of sweet and desserty with enough kick from the proof to add a LOT more flavor then say Makers Mark. If you really enjoy that, you could move up to say Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, Van Winkle 'Lot B' 12 year, Weller 12 year.

Old Grand Dad 114. I generally don't like Beam products, but Old Grand Dad 114 has a lot of flavor, packs a punch, a bit more spice, and is what it is. It's damn good for about $20 (locally). I enjoy it far more then any other Beam product I've had.

I also enjoy Eagle Rare Single Barrel, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, Wild Turkey Rare Breed for bottles under $30 or close to it. (Rare Breed is $29 if you're lucky, $45 if you're not)

Connoisseur

Hey Mark, Welcome!

I'm about 45 minutes from you on the country side of Dallas. You are close to some good dusty bourbon. Ft. Worth and Dallas has a good supply fo new and old. There are some good people here. Visit often.