Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie From Va.

Apprentice

Smile Newbie From Va.

Hello newbie here for northern Va. My name is Phillip and I have been enjoying Bourbon for a little over 10 years, I can't believe I just found this site. I also enjoy Cigars, Women, & Single Malt Scotch. You will find me easy going as I have matured quite well in my 30+ years on this earth. One other thing, I am going to warn everybody now is that my grammar needs work and I am prepared to be flamed over it. If you get a kick out flaming over this then flame away on me as I deserve it (sometimes). I should of paid more attention in school. (oh well to late now!!)

Re: Newbie From Va.

[quoteI have been enjoying Bourbon for a little over 10 years, I also enjoy Cigars, Women, & Single Malt Scotch. te]

Well your screwed Seriously welcome aboard don't worry about your grammar and being flamed there is very little if any flaming going on here. It's not tolerated. These people are more likely to been over backwards to help you out. So in your 10 years of bourbon experience what have you tried that you liked and why, didn't like and why. Give us your opinions. Ask questions if you have any some one will be glad to answer them. Stick around post often and you'll make some new friends. It's a great bunch of people on here, your going to like it. Official Chat (the Gazebo) is Thursday and Sunday nights but its available all the time stop in it's lots of fun. A good way to meet your fellow members. And you need to do something about that scotch thing we can't have that.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

I think you'll be flamed more for admitting you're a Scoth drinker.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    I think you'll be flamed more for admitting you're a Scoth drinker.
    I've practically begged to be flamed and nobody has taken the bait. The closest this place generally comes to flaming is in the Off Topic areas of the forum. But that rarely gets above the level of a heated exchange.

Just don't ask about WR Four Grain. Or ask callmeox about the college football bowl system.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Welcome to SB.com. I too live in No. VA. There are a number of fellow SB.com members that get together every so often so we'll keep you in mind at our next gathering. Make liberal use of the search functions if you have any questions as there's a wealth of information available.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

Don't listen to these guys about flaming... I was in the chat when I had a big pour of Ritt 100 BIB, and didn't expect it to have as much of a kick as it did. It's not my favorite pour, but the first was INFINITELY worse then the rest of the bottle... What happened when I said that in chat? EVERY ONE OF YOU CALLED ME A WOMAN. The topic of the night was "Joshua is a girl."

In all honesty though- everyone is nice, and anything like that happens in good fun. No real hostile arguments or flaming tends to take place so no worries on that.

Welcome to the site!

Connoisseur

Welcome to the forums. Its good to see other Virginians on here. What are some of your favorite bourbons and what is your daily pour?
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Don't listen to these guys about flaming... I was in the chat when I had a big pour of Ritt 100 BIB, and didn't expect it to have as much of a kick as it did. It's not my favorite pour, but the first was INFINITELY worse then the rest of the bottle... What happened when I said that in chat? EVERY ONE OF YOU CALLED ME A WOMAN. The topic of the night was "Joshua is a girl."

In all honesty though- everyone is nice, and anything like that happens in good fun. No real hostile arguments or flaming tends to take place so no worries on that.

Welcome to the site!
    Josh.....who in the world would be so heartless and uncaring.....shame on them!!!!
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Apprentice

Well since some of ya'll have asked I will list a few in my collection that I enjoy on a more regular bases:

Old Forester Signature, also the Regular Label, I have all the B-Day Bourbons starting in 2002-2008, but I rarely drink the B-Day Collection.

Ridgemont Reserve 1792

EWSB (currently '97), also enjoy the White Label.

Woodford Reserve SB (I think the best in the line)-also have a bottle of the Sonoma-Cutrer Finish (was not impressed), and a bottle of the Master Collection (dissapointed, expensive, not worth the price)

W.L. Weller Special 7 y.o.(great value)

As for a daily pour I really don't have one. I have such a eclectic palette that one day I will have a pour of Bourbon, then the next Scotch, or Rye whisky. I know, I know theres that Scotch thing again. But I will say this "in hopes of ya'll forgiving my Scotch addiction" I DO NOT MIX DRINKS, USE ICE, OR DRINK ANYTHING THAT IS CLEAR - i.e Vodka,Gin,Rum,Tequlia and so on. My Spirits must be made from: Corn,Rye,Wheat, or Barley and then aged in a cask atleast 4 years "more like 7-8" before I will consider tasting. Call my a snob if you want. I Drink for taste not to get drunk. Heck I can't remember last time I was drunk. Cheers!!
    Simple, Just The Way I Like It!!

Disciple

Welcome! There are quite a few Virginians on this board...
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?