Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Broken Glencairn

I seem to be on a glass breaking spree here lately. One while washing over the weekend and one while putting them away after letting them air dry. So that makes two broken for me.
    How many have you broken?
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Virtuoso

Re: Broken Glencairn

My wife and i went to Whiskyfest this year and each received a glass. Since I'm the bourbon drinker, I guess they were "mine". She broke one two day later when doing the dishes. i suspect it was done on purpose so I'll do the dishes more.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post
    I seem to be on a glass breaking spree here lately. One while washing over the weekend and one while putting them away after letting them air dry. So that makes two broken for me.
    How many have you broken?
    I broke the first one I ever got from BT. I have another has has a small chip. I also recently broke my WT glass.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

I, knock on wood haven't broke one yet or one of my Riedel's either. I hand wash them and hand dry them. I'll probably break one today now.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

I broke two different snifters in one day a few months ago, trying to reach inside to clean them while I was doing the dishes . . . I have been extra careful since and haven't broken any glasses (plus, my wife has a propensity for bring spare glasses home for me fairly often, just in case).
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

I have seven Glencairn glasses. Two crystal ones from Old Forester Repeal sets, two crystal ones from BD, one glass one from BT (Old Rip VanWinkle), and two plain glass ones that I picked up at an estate sale for $1 each. I use the two that I got at the estate sale. Not that I'm cheap, but if I break one of those, it's no big deal. So far so good. Haven't broken one yet. And yes, I'm keeping my fingers are crossed. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

This is why I don't like delicate, foo-foo glasses. Give me a simple old fashion glass [with some heft ti it] anyday.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    This is why I don't like delicate, foo-foo glasses. Give me a simple old fashion glass [with some heft ti it] anyday.
    But I can break 15 of these for what you paid for 2 of those.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 08-01-2009 at 00:25.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

I was shaking out the water after rinsing an Old Rip Glencairn and it slipped out of my hand and shattered in the sink.
    Other snifters I have broken are to numerous to count.
    ovh

Guru

For some reason I break more wine glasses than anything else, usually washing them. I haven't broke any Riedels while washing them. I don't have any Glencairns. I've broke a couple Riedels while drinking and talking. I talk with my hands a lot and, well, while drinking I've knocked a few glasses to the floor.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 08-02-2009 at 17:09.