Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon

Advanced Taster

Bourbon

Well there has to be a first post some time ,I guess now is as good a time as any..
    Dad was a loyal fan and follower of Bellows Club Bourbon , and as time or oppertunity permited he would try/ or drink other stock .... I still have his last unopenned bottle of WT 101,,,,
    From reading a few of the posts here it will be a bit before I will be posting my tastes , or at least how they are listed here ...I know what I like , but have not the nose or the detail of taste to have a valid input as of yet , ....My likes run to the likes of Ezra Brooks , Evan Williams , Old Weller 107 , W.L.Weller Centenial,,, with the older(10,12 and 15 year)and higher proofs 90+ single barrel and small batch at the top of my liking ...
    I will be reading post and trying other bourbons based on the ratings you all have rated my current favorites at as a base to start ,,Hopefully I will develop the skills to start to rate and give a valid opinion with your help ...
    Thank You
    Bill G.
    P.S. I hope I have this posted on the correct board if not please forgive me ..........Thank You

Disciple

Welcome Aboard!!!

Well first things first, Bill G.,

Welcome To Bourbonia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure you will find evereything you want to know on this forum and I know I speak for many when I say that I am looking forward to your input!

My only question is regarding you saying:

"with the older(10,12 and 15 year)and higher proofs 90+ single barrel and small batch at the top of my liking ..."

I was just wondering to what bottlings in particular you were referring to??

Welcome Aboard & Rock On ,
    Tom (Bourbonic Ambassador) C

PS my first tip for you is to OPEN that bottle of WT 101!!! You won't regret it!

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bourbon

Welcome to Bourbonia Bill. That's a pretty good first post and you are forgiven. The Tastings topic board is really for either formal reviews or informal impressions of a specific bourbon or family of bourbons and maybe a bourbonic shootout or two. So I'm just going to pop your thread up to General Bourbon Topics.

Advanced Taster

Re: Welcome Aboard!!!

Ok here it goes ...a list of the fallen .
    Old Weller 107
    W.L.Weller Centenial
    Ezra Brooks 101
    Ezra B. 15yr
    Old Grand Dad 114
    are my special favorites so far , for common part takings , the every day are Ezra Brooks 90 or Evan Williams 90...
    Have picked up of late ETL. single EW single and a Makers Mark 90? I think not sure of the proof at this time .. I will say that from my personal very unskilled tastings of the low proofs in EB and EW did not have the smooth oil feel that I like , Bellows Club , Dad's favorite , it has been a long time from my last sip , I remember as a lighter crisper type feel to it a very enjoyable ,,, I guess what I am trying to say is I like the heavier feel more than what to me is a lighter watery type feeling that say JB Black label ..........If my lack of learning is showing please forgive me I am trying ........
    Well if that don't get me a sock in the mouth I guess I be ok ........lol
    Bill G.
    P.S.
    Good Nite all I am off to bed it has been a long night ...

Enthusiast

The Third, You can relax! Just say what YOU feel. You'll find out what you like, and with time you will be able to express it in that precise manner...or not...it doesn't matter! As long as you enjoyed your experience..that is what matters. Sometimes simple is better anyways. Don't worry about getting caught up in...hints of this, or subtle flavors of that and so forth. You can speak that way if you feel comfortable with it over time. For instance, I have two bottles of Jefferson Reserve (Both Batch# 15, Bottle 1503 & 1506) I opened #1506 last night and drank it in a rocks glass with a single cube of ice, and I have three words for its taste....Butterscotch, Butterscotch, Butterscotch! This stuff was wonderful! An excellent pour! What do you expect for 15 years old, right?! Good Luck! See ya, H'wood

Disciple

Yep I figure at 15 years you would only get 2 or three flavors (one of them being BARREL) anyway, though the strong sweetness in butterscotch would balance that off quite well. . . . . .hmmm maybe I need a bottle of JR ! LOL

TomC

Enthusiast

M'Dawg. O.K. it was only two (2) butterscotches! Seriously, it was some fine bourbon. However, I didn't taste any barrel. And I better not! I don't want to get back into THAT thread, but this pour will run you $50-$75 a bottle here in AL! Depends if you're dealing with the ABC store, or just a "local" liquor joint. I expect a fine drink for that kind of coin! And I promised I wouldn't go there, but Woodford for $28-$31 at the ABC store is better/less expensive. See ya, H'wood

Guru

Eric, I totally agree. I just finished my bottle of JR about 2 weeks ago and loved the butterscotch notes throughout the whole bottle. Even at the 15yo bottling I detected no barrel either.

Guru

H'wood,

You wrote, in part:
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    However, I didn't taste any barrel. And I better not! I don't want to get back into THAT thread, but ...

[/QUOTE] Are you referring to a thread about the presence/nature of barrel flavors? If so, I'd like to take a look at it to refresh my memory. Can you point me?

Although I'd bet we all pretty much agree what butterscotch tastes like, I suspect that we are less in agreement regarding so-called "barrel flavors"; hence my interest.

Those of you who were fortunate enough to do what I'll call "the placemat tasting" (didn't that include new make and various ages?) at the recent Bourbon Festival will know better than I, but I opine that the bulk of the flavor that we associate with bourbon comes from the barrel.

The real issue may be the onset of too much barrel influence, resulting in a taste that is overwhelmed by wood and charcoal, with the sweeter elements almost totally submerged. Of course, we won't all agree on what comprises too much, but we may agree as to the flavor components involved (or missing, as the case may be), but only if we don't lump them all together as "barrel flavor".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

B'B'D, No, my reference was to a thread that I enjoyed at first, but became exhaustive to me..referring to the way we perceive the value of whiskey for the dollar etc.. I eluded to that later in my post when I said I still liked Woodford better in the $28-31 range than the Jefferson Reserve. Or something to like of that. However, I do like "barrel" tastes as long as they ARE in the flavors of oak and charcoal!..Tastes that I like in the JD products...again, that is another subject! I know many of my counterparts here are not fond of the JD products for some reason . Back to the point, I think "barrel" tastes are the main "ingredients" that make bourbon/whiskey. Then again, like you said when it becomes to influencial/prominent it becomes overbearing. I like hints of oak/charcoal etc..but, it shouldn't taste like I'm drinking bark or wood. I hope this clears my comment up some. See ya, H'wood