Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: (ri)1 - The Right Price

You build a profile, for which you have reference samples, then going forward you compare all barrel selections to those samples. This brand is NAS, so they don't have to limit themselves to barrels over a certain age, but if that's what you had for the original profile (e.g., whiskey at least six years old) then that's probably where you are going to start.

It begins when they are in the process of selecting for the lesser brands. Barrels that show potential may be held out and marked for additional aging because they have the potential to become fodder for the better brand.

Advanced Taster

This topic piqued my curiosity, so though I’m not a high rye fan, I compared (ri)1 to JB Rye. I tried them separate then compared them side by side on my deck while watching my stupid old cat explore the forest, oblivious to hawk, owl, snake, and coyote.

Perhaps I need to educate my palate. Color the same. (ri)1 had slightly better nose. (ri)1 was somewhat more rounded. Neither spoke much of age. Perhaps if (ri)1 were aged like Rittenhouse it would be a fine product. Between the two, (ri)1 and JB Rye, I’d choose OGD 114.

I am glad Beam is exploring variety and offering a number of different products.
    Last edited by loose proton; 03-21-2010 at 16:52.

Saw some on sale for $29.99. Well, kinda. The shelf space where it had been, was empty, so they must have sold it all. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Thumbs down Re: (ri)1 - The Right Price

PA is putting it on sale next month for $6 off. That makes it only $39.99 plus tax.
    Illuminati in training

Irreverent One

The OLCC price list for May (posted earlier today) has it marked down, from $51.95 to $39.95.

I still haven't tried it.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

Had a buddy in Tennessee pick up a couple of bottles for me. 28 bucks each. 31 with tax.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Advanced Taster

I'ved tried it and found it a little young. Probably a little expensive, but a nice bottle.

Virtuoso

Last weekend, I was surprissed to see it for $20 a bottle and autographed by someone to boot (couldn't read the signature) so I brought home my first bottle.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

I had my first pour of this, this week it was poured down the sink. The nastiest tasting rye I have ever had and I like Rye whiskey.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Taster

A local liquor store now has these marked down to $19.99. It looks like they are just trying to get rid of them and clear the shelf space.