Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Ardbeg 10: should I do it?

I have some birthday money with which I would like to buy an exceptional bottle of whisky. I finally got to try Ardbeg 10 last week and was very impressed, so I am tempted to blow my stash on a bottle.

Here is the thing: the price recently went from $77 to $99 per 750ml in Ontario, making it probably the most expensive 10-year-old around. Would I be insane to buy this?

I am also looking at The Glenlivet Nadurra ($81), and Longmorn 16 ($98). Really my budget should be around $80, but of course I can stretch it a little.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Ardbeg 10: should I do it?

Happy Birthday, Mega. Skip the Ardbeg, and spend your cash on a nice bottle of bourbon. Tons of great recommendations for you, up in the bourbon section. Heck, you'll be able to afford 2 or 3 superior bottles, for what you're willing to part with for the Ardbeg.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Happy Birthday, Mega. Skip the Ardbeg, and spend your cash on a nice bottle of bourbon. Tons of great recommendations for you, up in the bourbon section. Heck, you'll be able to afford 2 or 3 superior bottles, for what you're willing to part with for the Ardbeg.
    Here are the bourbons available to me: Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Corner Creek (all $45), Bulleit ($35)...I think that's about it.

Don't fear, you're still way ahead of the Ardbeg with those options, limited as they may be. You still can get 2 superior bottles from that group. If it were me, I'd go Woodford and Bulliet, and grab a couple of beers with the leftover change. However, I'm tempted to suggest Corner Creek, as I have a particular fondness for it's minty goodness. In the end, you won't go wrong by getting any two of them.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Don't fear, you're still way ahead of the Ardbeg with those options, limited as they may be. You still can get 2 superior bottles from that group. If it were me, I'd go Woodford and Bulliet, and grab a couple of beers with the leftover change. However, I'm tempted to suggest Corner Creek, as I have a particular fondness for it's minty goodness. In the end, you won't go wrong by getting any two of them.
    Not an Islay fan, I take it? I like Knob Creek and Bulleit is not bad either, but they don't exactly qualify as special occasion sippers, if you know what I mean.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you are a fan of the Islay style, then nothing else will do, and I've been impressed with Ardbeg, as their attitude across the board seems to be "go big or go home."

No, not at all. I like Islays, well enough. I just think that all of the bourbon choices you listed trump the Ardbeg for any occasion.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I am also looking at The Glenlivet Nadurra ($81), and Longmorn 16 ($98). Really my budget should be around $80, but of course I can stretch it a little.
    My advice is to pass on the Longmorn 16 @ $98. No-one I know has anything good to say about the value of this product although comparisons to the 15yr @ $55 probably predispose people to a negative comparion. I tried it and was unimpressed.

I consider the Nadurra to be one of the best values at the LCBO - this coming from an Ardbeg fan. The 10yr is worth the coin IMHO, but the Nadurra is better value.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I have some birthday money with which I would like to buy an exceptional bottle of whisky. I finally got to try Ardbeg 10 last week and was very impressed, so I am tempted to blow my stash on a bottle.

Here is the thing: the price recently went from $77 to $99 per 750ml in Ontario, making it probably the most expensive 10-year-old around. Would I be insane to buy this?

C'mon Man, it is your Birthday money.
    I can get you a Laphroaig 30yo here in MI for $599.00 plus 6% sales tax plus shipping.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Actually I had Longmorn 16 last week and thought it was fantastic. Whether it was as good or better than the 15, hard to say without directly comparing them, but I agree that the 16 is awful pricey.

In the end, the decision was made for me: Ardbeg is all sold out around here, and I found a bottle of The Glenlivet Nadurra at $16 off! On my first glass of it now. I'd be hard-pressed to say whether this is Scotch or bourbon if I didn't already know. In fact I'd probably say bourbon. Crazy.