Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

How to mail samples?

Does anyone have experience sending samples from the US to Canada?

I use plastic 60cl bottles, so there would be nothing to show up on X-Ray. I also generally label it as a wedding/birthday gift on the outside of the package when shipping overseas.

Are there any special considerations for Canada, or should I just package one up and ship? I would hate to lose 60cl of a high dollar bottle without anyone (other than the inspectors) getting to try it.

Disciple

Re: How to mail samples?

It is a good idea to put bottles in ziplock bags to contain any possible leakage!

Thomas

Virtuoso

Just curious why an x-ray can't see a plastic bottle? I'd guess that they could see it.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

I ship all my water samples, perfume, and olive oil with 50ml bottles and marked as appropriate.

Novice

Not that it won't show, but that the opacity of the shadow would be faint and not indcate any metal items.

With a fairly strong beam, thin plastic hardly even makes a shadow.

Molecular density is the primary factor in shadow opacity. The caps tend to show pretty well even when plastic.

I am not sure how much it matters, but I kinda suspect that with the volume being scanned, the trip % recognition is probably set pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    I ship all my water samples, perfume, and olive oil with 50ml bottles and marked as appropriate.
    Ditto. Labeled, in 50 ml bottles, inside a small ziploc bag, like Thomas stated. Don't know about shipping to Canada though. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Probably ought not be discussing it here, in any case, since it wouldn't even be legal for a licensed retailer to ship non-factory-sealed liquor. So, for the record anyway, IT'S NOT LEGAL however you do it.
    (Yes, I know -- I'm a spoil-sport. I'd also like to keep the SB.com 'nameplate' out of trouble.)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Eau De Pappy 15?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Probably ought not be discussing it here, in any case, since it wouldn't even be legal for a licensed retailer to ship non-factory-sealed liquor. So, for the record anyway, IT'S NOT LEGAL however you do it.
    Amen to that ... When I need to get samples across the border, I use one of two legal means ... If I can carry it across, I do ... in sizes and amounts that are below the legal threshold ... and I declare it as I cross the border. If I cannot carry it across, I have someone with a legal export license ship it to someone with a legal import license ... again, all declared and legal.
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    (Yes, I know -- I'm a spoil-sport. I'd also like to keep the SB.com 'nameplate' out of trouble.)
    Did I miss something? I thought we were talking water, perfume, and olive oil. Who said anything about liquor?
    That being the case, it probably should have been posted in the Off Topic section.
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 08-07-2009 at 16:19. Reason: Suggestion added
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama