Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Hello from ME

Novice

Hello from ME

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself since that seems to be the thing to do around here. I am a culinary student who works in the restaurant industry and although I only came of legal drinking age 3 weeks ago I think my experience with food is going to be a strong benefit.

Rather than being a typical 21-year old and get smashed off cheap beer and liquor I've long been looking forward to being able to enjoy high quality beverages.

I'm especially interested in bourbon as well as single malt scotches, and although I can already tell I've headed toward an expensive journey it can't be much more than my current hobbies (drums and japanese knives).

As far as bourbon's go, my collection currently consists of Evan Williams Single Barrel 1999, Eagle Rare 10, Old Grandad, Maker's Mark, Blanton.

Old last thing, the restaurant I am currently working at for the summer has a bourbon bar as opposed to your typical martini bar, we have nearly 20 quality bourbons.

Enthusiast

Re: Hello from ME

Man! Wish i was a student again, i was a typical smashed student - subsidised beer and spirits didn't help - great but terrible stuff full of vivid and some not so vivid but blurry memories.

I discovered good bourbon a few years later, good for you for saving some brain cells and experiencing good bourbon from the start. You have the perfect summer job for discovering bourbon, enjoy bourbon, this site and its peers!

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Disciple

Welcome to the board! Congrats on becoming legal -- it sounds like you have a good setup at your whiskey bar that should allow you to try a variety of stuff. When you say "Hello from ME" are you referring to youself in the first person or are you here in the great state of Maine? If you're in Maine, we should definitely get together and hit my bunker which should broaden your horizons also.

Cheers!
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Novice

Hahah,

I do in fact live in Maine, in fact....I work in the Old Port, at a pretty new restaurant on Commercial Street. I'm not sure if I should really be saying the name of the place, but if you live in the area you might have heard of it.

While I do work pretty demanding hours I might enjoy taking you up on your very generous offer sometime before I return back to Rhode Island for the school year.

Welcome aboard Drazz. Looks like you're off to a good start on your bourbon journey. You have a pretty nice variety of bourbons already. Heck, between the restaurant you work at, and being neighbors with Andy, (funknik) you got it made. Only thing is, you might have to do some serious cramming before you head back to school. Hope you like it here. It's a great place to meet some good folks, learn a lot about bourbon, and have a little fun in the process. Keep posting. Check out the gazebo. (chatroom) Scheduled chats are Thursday and Sunday nights, but you never know when some of us might be in there. Cheers, and have a good one. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"