Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from MD

Advanced Taster

Hi from MD

Hey all,

I've been reading the info on the site for a little while now. There is certainly a lot of great info here and I have already used some of the reviews to sample some new bourbons (new to me anyway). I'm a long time bourbon / whiskey drinker so I thought I would take a little time to introduce myself.

Whiskey and I go back a ways. The first whiskey I found that I really liked was Michter's sour mash 101. I still have a very dusty bottle (yeah, it's my dust) from a case I bought many years ago at the distillery. It was a sad day when I learned they had shuttered the place. I don't have the heart to open the last bottle, so I'm saving it for a special occastion!

I had a chance to spend the weekend of the 4th visiting the various distillaries in KY which has gotten me more interested in sampling a much wider range of products. I would second all the people who have said what a nice experience it is to visit the distillaries. I'm a sucker for learning how things are made anyway .

I seem to have a thing for the bourbons from BT. Currently I'm working my way through a bottle of Old Forrester 100 proof that I found recently. The site montived me to look for hidden gems like that and helped me date it to 1988.

The one "discovery" from my trip was the products from Four Roses. I had never had any of thier offerings or even seen any of the products up here in MD, but I picked up a few bottles on the trip after a sampling. So many bourbons, so little time...

Thats about all for an intro. I look forward to contributing what I can when I can.

Joe

Re: Hi from MD

Welcome aboard Joe please share your years of experience with us We'd love to here what you have tried and liked and what you have tried and disliked. Ask any questions if you have any. Please come join us in chat officially it's Thursday and Sunday nights but it open any time. Post often have fun and make some new friends.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Welcome.

Great to have a doctor on the board.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

From one Joe to another, Welcome. Funny how visiting distilleries has a way of stimulating some peoples interest in bourbon. That's what happened to me a couple of years ago at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival. My life hasn't been the same since. Here at SB you can learn a bit about bourbon, make some friends, and have a little bit of fun in the process. It's all good. Hope you enjoy it here. Looking forward to your posts. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Joe,

Welcome. What part of MD are you from? We have a number of folks in the VA/DC/MD area that get together for tastings and such.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Apprentice

Welcome from Frederick, MD.

Novice

And welcome from Millersville, MD!

Novice

Welcome from Rockville, Maryland.

Advanced Taster

Hey All the MDers,

I'm originally from just east of Balto City. I live in Ellicott City now.

Joe

Guru

I used to visit my In-Laws every year in Gaithersburg, do I count?
    ovh