Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: How much $ is too much for a bottle?

I suppose it depends on what a person is used to paying for what they drink. I have come over to Bourbon from what many here call the "dark side"... Scotch.

I'm used to paying 40-50 or more $$$ for a decent Scotch. I have been pleasantly surprised at the relatively low cost, comparatively, of Bourbon to Scotch. I would definitely pay $50.00 for a really good Bourbon, but that's me.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I suppose it depends on what a person is used to paying for what they drink. I have come over to Bourbon from what many here call the "dark side"... Scotch.

I'm used to paying 40-50 or more $$$ for a decent Scotch. I have been pleasantly surprised at the relatively low cost, comparatively, of Bourbon to Scotch. I would definitely pay $50.00 for a really good Bourbon, but that's me.

Yeah, sc**** prices definitely can get silly quickly!
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Guru

For me $45 is too much for most bottles. That's about the point of diminishing returns for me.

There are exceptions, of course. BATC bottles are usually worth it, particularly the Stagg and often the Wm. LaRue Weller. The Four Roses Barrel Strength selection is always great too.

But the BT top shelfers, Hancock, RHF, Blantons are all good, but no better than ETL which is ten dollars cheaper, for example. I would also say the current WTKS bottles aren't worth it either.

The most I ever paid for a bottle was $80, but I never drank it. It was something I couldn't pass up.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

I have frequently sworn not to pay over "x" for a bottle. But then the BTAC will be coming out soon, and the PHC 50th Anniversary, and the Jefferson 17 yo SW bottling, and, and...

Who am I kidding? I'm basically a bourbon whore.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Wow, I really appreciate all the replies! This has been an interesting read. There's a lot of great info here for getting to know you guys and your personal preferences, as well as some fantastic leads on bottles that need my personal investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Another factor here is that prices seem to be rising fairly sharply, now.
    I know what you mean. Just wait until we hit hyper-inflation in a few years after printing up billions to "bail out" some of the wealthiest people in the world. $175 billion taxpayer dollars and $30+ billion is handed out in "bonuses". When that bottle of Wild Turkey is suddenly sporting a $1,528 price tag, remember it's not the Campari Group that should be hanging from the street lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Up until a few months ago, the most I had spent on a bottle was $80. In hindsight, it was a mistake.
    Care to divulge the name on the label of that "mistake"? I'd like to know for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    In these economic times, I don't feel comfortable spending more than 28 to 30 dollars on a bottle of bourbon or rye. That's money I could spend keeping the freezer and the cupbords full.
    Admirable and honorable words. There's definitely something to be said about a healthy investment in food when we rely so heavily on others.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownD View Post
    Fortunately I don't drink a ton of it on a daily basis, and there are plenty I enjoy which are even cheaper than my favorites (Ritt Rye BIB, WT101 Rye, Four Roses Yellow, Weller 12, OGD 114, etc) so it balances out.
    Along with my "pricey" $32 bottles, I've got some Ritt Rye BIB, WT101, Old Fitz BIB, OGD BIB etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    For me I seem to get into an area of diminishing returns if I buy more expensive bourbon. While I enjoy it, I'm not sure that it is all that much better if i am paying double or triple of the price of others that I really enjoy. Maybe thats the blessing... or the curse of having an unsophisticated palete.
    I'm also skeptical if my novice palette is refined enough for $50+ Bourbon. Also, at 29 years old my olfactory senses are still working great, but my hearing and sight have always been stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    The only single bottles I really want are the AH Hirsch early releases and I would be willing to drop $200+, but mostly just for bragging rights..
    Can't deny the appeal of the "braggin' rights" factor! There's that pathetic and human part of me that wants to spend most of my paycheck on that Pappy 23 just to take a picture and show you folks! =(

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    I'm not purchasing except for a couple of things here and there and mostly focusing on drinking what's in the bunker which is fine with me. At around 300+ bottles, I'm good to go for a number of years.
    I've seen the pics! Nice work. I've got my own "braggin' rights" shrine. It's taken me many years, but I'm very content.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I don't have an issue with spending ~$100 on a bottle for a celebration or very special occasion. When you think about it, a really nice dinner and a movie for a couple people is going to get close to that...
    Now that's a great point, and a great post. I gotta try that Baby Saz, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I have been pleasantly surprised at the relatively low cost, comparatively, of Bourbon to Scotch.
    Amen brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The most I ever paid for a bottle was $80, but I never drank it. It was something I couldn't pass up.
    What was it? Are you holding on to it for a special occasion? I've got a Weller Centennial (Louisville) I'm stashing for some event. Hopefully that "event" won't be the collapse of modern society.

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Well, the first step to recovery is admitting you're a Bourbon whore.

I have frequently sworn not to pay over "x" for a bottle. But then the BTAC will be coming out soon, and the PHC 50th Anniversary, and the Jefferson 17 yo SW bottling, and, and...

I feel your pain
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I generally go about $20-25 for frequent pours. These are BT, ORVW10/90, OWA, WT101, WTRB(~$30), recently going to add baby saz to that list. At that price I don't really worry if I kill the bottle pretty fast.

After that it jumps to about $50-60 a bottle, mainly things such as Lot B and BTAC. They're more expensive, but when I drink them I have half as much or less. Per pour (size not counting) they're the same price or so. I just make them last.

I don't have an issue with spending ~$100 on a bottle for a celebration or very special occasion. When you think about it, a really nice dinner and a movie for a couple people is going to get close to that...

If I go out and spend $60 on a bottle of Stagg, all it means is that instead of going out to nice dinners, I'll cook at home for the week. It really boils down to if you're buying a bourbon to casually drink, or if you're buying it to taste history and really really enjoy. If you drop $60 or 70 on a bottle, it's still cheaper then buying 15 drinks at a bar...

Is Bookers worth the $55 I've seen it for on the shelf? To me, heck no. Is WLW08 worth the $58? In a second, without a doubt, YES. Is Pappy 20 (at $100) worth it? Eh... on an average day maybe not. Is Pappy 20 at $60-70 for a special occasion worth it- YES.
    I agree with damned near everything Josh said. The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection hosts some amazing liquid. I feel that $60 for the Stagg, WLW, and Handy are well worth it. Those are also all quite high in proof, so you're getting a bit more than normal. If you diluted ~140 proof Stagg down to 90 proof, it would effectively cost around $38 for 750 ml.

Ultimately, it comes down to buying what you like. If your favorite bourbon is $75 for a bottle, buy it! Although, I would recommend having something a bit cheaper as an everyday pour. Stagg is amazing, but I like having some OGD 114 for a much cheaper, high proof, tasty bourbon as well.

I personally have some of the more expensive bourbons available (BTAC, WTAS, PHC, etc.), but I do not drink those as often as I do the cheaper stuff. In that manner they're more expensive, but their life expectancy on my shelves is quite a bit longer.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    In these economic times, I don't feel comfortable spending more than 28 to 30 dollars on a bottle of bourbon or rye. That's money I could spend keeping the freezer and the cupbords full.
    When I first read this, I thought this was a reference to Rep. William Jefferson...
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur

I am in this same category! I typically say NOTHING over $100. but with exceptions...Binnys had a Willet 27 year which was SW barrel-proof bourbon and I went way over my limit since I HAD to have it...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Klepackage View Post
    I agree with damned near everything Josh said. The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection hosts some amazing liquid. I feel that $60 for the Stagg, WLW, and Handy are well worth it. Those are also all quite high in proof, so you're getting a bit more than normal. If you diluted ~140 proof Stagg down to 90 proof, it would effectively cost around $38 for 750 ml.

Ultimately, it comes down to buying what you like. If your favorite bourbon is $75 for a bottle, buy it! Although, I would recommend having something a bit cheaper as an everyday pour. Stagg is amazing, but I like having some OGD 114 for a much cheaper, high proof, tasty bourbon as well.

I personally have some of the more expensive bourbons available (BTAC, WTAS, PHC, etc.), but I do not drink those as often as I do the cheaper stuff. In that manner they're more expensive, but their life expectancy on my shelves is quite a bit longer.
    I agree with every word. I, too, have a few top shelfers (GTS, WLW, TH Sazerac, Saz 18 and a few BHC bottles) that cost me in excess of $50 (not the BHC's), but several of them aren't even open yet, and the ones that I have cracked are consumed on special occasions by pouring one glass for myself and whoever is joining me and then moving on to something else, thereby extending the life span of the bottle.

My daily pours are all under $25 (mostly under $20 actually and several--Very Old Barton and Rittenhouse BIB--under $15!) and I'm always happy to drink them. About the only thing I buy semi-regularly and consume with little attempt to conserve is Pappy 15--I love the stuff and feel I can treat myself every other month to an exquisite bottle. After all, life's too short and you can't take it with you, so why not splurge now and then? I just skip a few lunches out or a night in the bar and I've got the dough for that special bottle, or at least that's the way I've managed to rationalize paying twice what my regular pours cost me.