Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Disciple

Re: What's going on with Old Weller Antique?

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    I think you can include the current BiB Old Fitz in that group of sub par wheaters, but that's just my opinion.
    I agree. I've had a few bottles lately. All of which ended up in a shot glass, and not in a glencairn.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Whoops. I'm in the minority, it looks like. But, I'm very fond of the current Old Fitz BIB. The low price is a plus for me, too.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Question Re: What's going on with Old Weller Antique?

Along the lines of Weller, I got a question that has been tickling my mind for a while now. This is not to do with Antique, so, if the moderator sees fit to move it to another thread, not a problem. Several months ago, while in town visiting my sister, I came across an old store that had several bottles of Weller Spl Rsv - Louisville....which means it is S-W juice. My own experience with a Frankfort SR a while back was not a pleasant one to say the least and I have never been inclined to try it again. However, if the S-W SR has a rep of being considerably better, I would be inclined to go back this weekend and grab one or more of them. What is the opinion of the experts in this regard? I was in there N-Y Eve and he still had them there collecting dust. I have always loved Antique from S-W to present.....but, am somewhat shy of the SR. Guess for the price point of SR, I should not worry bout it too much....lol.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

It's interesting that you like Weller Antique 107 but didn't care for the Special Reserve. It has been reported here (and I had heard this during a tour many years ago) that SR and Antique 107 were from the same lot of selected barrels with the difference simply being bottling proof. FYI, they sell about ten times more SR that the Antique 107, IIRC. So my guess is that you don't care for a young, low proof wheated bourbon. Therefor, a young, low proof SW wheated bourbon may not be your cup of tea either.

In Texas, it's very common to see SR as the well bourbon in bars (although recent price increases have given Beam White a price advantage). When out, I'll often have the SR vs paying top dollar for a Woodford Reserve "top shelf" pour. But that's about the only time I drink SR.

Randy

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Along the lines of Weller, I got a question that has been tickling my mind for a while now. This is not to do with Antique, so, if the moderator sees fit to move it to another thread, not a problem. Several months ago, while in town visiting my sister, I came across an old store that had several bottles of Weller Spl Rsv - Louisville....which means it is S-W juice.
    I don't mind the current WLW SR at all (although I do prefer the OWA by quite a lot), but the one bottle I had of '95 S-W WLW SR was very tasty IMO (thanks, Oscar).
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    It's interesting that you like Weller Antique 107 but didn't care for the Special Reserve. It has been reported here (and I had heard this during a tour many years ago) that SR and Antique 107 were from the same lot of selected barrels with the difference simply being bottling proof.Randy
    Very good points....some things I had not thought about - particularly maybe my cup of tea is just not lower proof wheaters....although, I would never refuse a Lot B (been a while since I had it but I think it is around 90pf) which has always been in my top 5. It did cross my mind once that it could be same as Antique with lower bottling proof....but I just did not continue to connect the dots.....thanks Randy for the input and help.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    It's interesting that you like Weller Antique 107 but didn't care for the Special Reserve. It has been reported here (and I had heard this during a tour many years ago) that SR and Antique 107 were from the same lot of selected barrels with the difference simply being bottling proof.

Randy,
    it is a little more than just that. As you water down the bourbon, you bring forward some of the less pleasant tastes and dilute some of the sugars and sweeter tastes. The esters do not dilute like the sugars due, so some of the SRs might bring forward more of a bitter taste.

The Old 88 SR I have is great. Full of sugars and sweeter tastes, but that is due to a lower barrel proof I would bet.

Anyhow... Spun's 2-cetns