Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Wheat's vs Rye's

I started drinking bourbon/whiskey about a two years ago...like many others before me I started with Jack and Jim with Coke and have moved on from there. About 6 months ago I decided to start moving away from the JD and into bourbon...started on the Rocks with a splash of water, then to where I'm at now which is one ice cube.

I have had the following and are all open on the bar:
    Four Roses Small Batch
    Knob Creek
    Woodford Reserve
    JB White
    JB Black
    Maker's Mark
    Elmer T. Lee
    Buffalo Trace
    ORVW 10/90
    VW Lot B

I have found that my favorites of the bunch are BT, ORVW, and VW lot B...it happens that all of these are considered to be wheaters. My question is, is there a list of "wheaters" and "Rye's" anywhere? If not, does anyone have any additional recomendations on other bourbon's if I like that style?

I have the following in the bunker that I haven't tried yet:
    Blanton's
    Four Roses Yellow
    EWSB 1998
    JD Single Barrel
    Eagle Rare 10/90
    Pappy 15yr
    Pappy 20yr
    Ridgemont Reserve 1792
    Russel's Reserve

Which one's will I most likely like based on my preferences listed above? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by hectic1; 06-04-2009 at 11:49.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Wheat's vs Rye's

Buffalo Trace is not a wheated bourbon.

Wheated Bourbons include:

Weller, Fitzgerald, Van Winkle and Makers Mark.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

BT isn't actually a wheater. Someone a while back thought that too. Makes me wonder if there's some website out there perpetuating this. If you're looking for something similar to BT, I would also reccomend Old Charter 10, or cracking open that Eagle Rare you have.

Anyway, Old Fitzgerald, Weller and Rebel Yell are the other lines of wheaters out there. Out of those I would reccomend the Old Weller 107, Weller 12, Old Fitz BiB, and Rebel Reserve. The last two are a little more hot than the more refined Wellers and VW's, but I think they're both good.

If you're interested in "dusties", I would see if you can get your hands on some Weller Centennial, or some older bottles of Old Fitzgerald, especially older bottles of Very Special or Very Very Old Fitzgerald. They're all very highly thought of around here.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Thanks for the responses guys...

Hmmm, I thought I had read some place the BT was wheat based...I guess not. VW product have been the smoothest to me...with Lot b topping the list.

I guess I'll just have to keep working through the local Binny's selection to see what my favorites are...the only problem with that is I'll probably go bankrupt before I get through all of them!

The Eagle Rare is next on my list to crack open...I have a buddy going to pick me up a 17 year and bring it down as it's only $50.00 in Minnesota vs 67.00 here...I want to make sure I like the ER style though!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Buffalo Trace is not a wheated bourbon.

Wheated Bourbons include:

Weller, Fitzgerald, Van Winkle and Makers Mark.
    That's funny...I tried to have a MM last night after two nights of BT and ORVW and I couldn't do it...that bourbon does nothing for me. I don't know what it is but it's a good manhattan bourbon but not one that I would want to drink neat or with cube of ice...maybe I was having an off night.

What about the Weller 12 year? It's $24.99 at the local Binny's...is that one that should be on my list to try? I see that Binny's gave it a 96 out of 100...best buy!

This site is going to be my downfall...my wife is already tired of me talking and buying bourbon...I have to sneek it in the house now.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post

This site is going to be my downfall...my wife is already tired of me talking and buying bourbon...I have to sneek it in the house now.
    I have to agree with you there. At first you start reading and learning about bourbon but you hear everyone talking about this or that and you have to go out and get that. Like my wife says I don't have a drinking problem I have a buying problem.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

What about the Weller 12 year? It's $24.99 at the local Binny's...is that one that should be on my list to try? I see that Binny's gave it a 96 out of 100...best buy!
    Weller 12 will really tell you if you like wheaters. Weller 12 is one of my favorites and a favorite of many here. So far as I know, Binny's is the only Chicago retailer that carries it, and good for them.

BT is not only not a wheater, but there are many other ways in which it bears no resemblance to the Van Winkles. That it is one of your favorites is a good thing, because it shows you like different bourbon styles.

Disciple

Going to head to Binny's tomorrow to pick up a bottle of Weller 12...I'm sure I'll crack it open tomorrow and give it a whirl!

I'm starting to really notice the different characteristics of the different bourbons...I had BT then ORVW 10/90 back to back the other night and you're right...they are very different...but both very tasty IMO.

Guru

Buy all the Weller 12 you can and ship it to me. Alas, it hasn't been available around No. KY for months.

When it disappeared from the shelves, the word from BT was that it would return "in early 2009" (when, presumably, aged stock caught up with demand). Has anybody heard: Is W12 gone forever or will it be back (and when)?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Buy all the Weller 12 you can and ship it to me. Alas, it hasn't been available around No. KY for months.

When it disappeared from the shelves, the word from BT was that it would return "in early 2009" (when, presumably, aged stock caught up with demand). Has anybody heard: Is W12 gone forever or will it be back (and when)?
    I certainly can pick you up some Weller 12 year if you would like. I did finally crack open the ERSB and it's a fantastic bourbon. I also opened a bottle of Pappy 15 a couple weeks ago...took some getting used to the higher proof but it is mighty tasty!