Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: 1958 OGD Find

Disciple

1958 OGD Find

I was over at my brothers house on Thursday and while in the basement decided to check out his stash of bourbon...my grandfather passed away 2 years ago and he took all the alchol from the cabinets at his house and put it in his basement. He's a vodka drinker so he has no interest in what's down there. While sorting through the stuff while was mostly Canadian Club and Segrams Seven I found a unopened glass decanter of OGD...the label is market 1958. It's probably lost about 20-25% to angels share...my question is...will it still be any good? It's kinda cool to have something that old but I don't want it to go to waste. I also found a bottle of Crown Royal from 1959 down there. Both of these bottles have made their way to my bunker...to drink or not to drink?

Guru

Re: 1958 OGD Find

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    I was over at my brothers house on Thursday and while in the basement decided to check out his stash of bourbon...my grandfather passed away 2 years ago and he took all the alchol from the cabinets at his house and put it in his basement. He's a vodka drinker so he has no interest in what's down there. While sorting through the stuff while was mostly Canadian Club and Segrams Seven I found a unopened glass decanter of OGD...the label is market 1958. It's probably lost about 20-25% to angels share...my question is...will it still be any good? It's kinda cool to have something that old but I don't want it to go to waste. I also found a bottle of Crown Royal from 1959 down there. Both of these bottles have made their way to my bunker...to drink or not to drink?
    I'd drink it. Something that old is too cool not to drink.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Unless you plan on keeping them another 50 years, drink them. Of course, I would only pour them on special occasions and stretch them over about 5 or 10 more years.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

Awsome find, DRINK THEM! (or send them to me )

...and what proof is the OGD?
    -Jon V
    I Don't Need No Instructions To Know How To Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Unless you plan on keeping them another 50 years, drink them. Of course, I would only pour them on special occasions and stretch them over about 5 or 10 more years.

Tim
    Bob, Seems like some sound advice from Tim. Enjoy. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

With that much loss, I'd probably pop it open and start enjoying. Waiting will only produce more loss. Drinking of course will produce more loss but at your pace. I opened a bottle of '59 Old Forester BIB last year that had lost approx. 15% to evaporation. There were no off notes and the profile was just great. I still have a about 300ml of it left and am milking it as long as I can.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Taster

Drink it, you may never get a chance like this again!
    And tell us how it was, enjoy!!!
    Thomas

Ernest Tubb himself drank "beer, whiskey-good whiskey; Jim Beam bourbon."