Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Conecuh Ridge Whiskey on NBC Nightly News

Looks like Kenny May's Alabama moonshine is going to get some big time national coverage:

http://www.troymessenger.com/news/12...moonshine.html

NBC Nightly News is running a story about this on their 5:30 show, Friday evening.

This whiskey was supposedly going to be released around Father's Day this past June. Whatever reason for the delay, it was apparently placed on the shelves in 147 Alabama ABC stores yesterday!

For more information on this, you can also visit the Union Springs, AL website at www.unionspringsalabama.com

Well, time's a-wasting! I think I'll run out today and find me some of this stuff. If Conecuh Ridge is worth the hype than there may come a day when the powers that be see fit to add an Alabama whiskey forum to this site !!

-Troy

Advanced Taster

Re: Conecuh Ridge Whiskey on NBC Nightly News

Well, a double letdown...

I have not been able to find Conecuh Ridge whiskey anywhere and there was no special segment on the NBC Friday evening news featuring it. Me no understand.

-Troy

Guru

I saw what was apparently the same segment on my local NBC station's local news (it looked too slick for a local production). They said that Conecuh Ridge had been distributed to "147 ABC stores" on Thursday. Today (Sat.) I tried to find some in my local ABC. The first guy I asked had never heard of it, but the manager heard me ask and he told me that the Mountain Brook store had gotten some on Friday. He said my store would probably get theirs on Monday.

Tim

Enthusiast

I purchased a case of Conecuh Ridge today! My understanding is that most all of this was sold out yesterday as the stores opened! Don't ask me how I got it!....For the record, says is "hand-crafted" in Kentucky from the "secret" recipe from South Alabama's Clyde May. It claims to be "aged to perfection in re-used caramel- charred white-oak barrels. It is a dark, burnt?orange whiskey in a decent looking (Wathan-like) bottle. It has a Batch #001 on the front, listing 90 proof as well. I haven't tasted yet...promised my lady I'd wait on her to get home! My contact tried to find more while I was there, but her sources were empty as I stated earlier...she promised to continue looking for me. I have got three takers, but if anyone is interested I have three bottles left that I'd be interested in trading, etc... I also found three more bottles of OFBB if anyone is interested. I need to know something by Monday evening. See ya, H'wood

Enthusiast

>My understanding is that most all of this was sold out yesterday...

If anyone has a "spare bottle", I'd love to get my hands on it. I'll be
    going up to Sam's in Chicago at the beginning of the year, so I'll trade
    just about anything they carry... Van Winkle, Corner Creek Reserve,
    Buffalo Trace, Elmer T. Lee, Maker's Mark VIP, Rowans Creek,
    Kentucky Spirit, etc. Or if someone wants a cople of "ass-pocket"
    (~200 mL) samples of a few things, I could do that, too.

Tim

Enthusiast

Okay, preliminary tasting on this pour is excellent! This is INCREDIBLY SMOOTH! It says its 90 proof, but it seems much less. I mean you know it has the alcohol content, but the burn is next to zero. Very slight alcohol burn on the nose, and even less going down...slight tingle on the lips and tongue. It has a VERY buttery, sugar maple syrup smell and taste. A subtle taste of caramal and a HINT of shucked green corn as well. I like it very much...I'll post a little more in-depth later after I've had a chance to have another snifter or two! See ya H'wood

Advanced Taster

H'wood, you da man! Thanks for the heads up on availability and the first tasting notes for this whiskey. I hope it does well.

When you said it sold out, do you mean the Birmingham area or across the state? Surely there'd be a bottle or two floating around somewhere

Anyway, I'll bide my time and hope Santa is good to me because, at present (no pun intended), I am a Staggless, OFBB-less, Conecuh Ridgeless bourbonite.....

-Troy

Enthusiast

Squeeze, There is probably "a bottle or two" around SOMEWHERE?! My contact was checking stores in this area as well as an hour south to Montgomery. Like I said the stores were almost sold-out after opening....the stores that received it numbered around 150 I think...I am almost positive this was state-wide. I've got a couple of bottles left, and I feel pretty good on getting a couple more through my source...hopefully. I decided to keep one more bottle, after I tasted it! I had made a post a short time back....about good whiskies having a distinct taste of their own (as long as its distintively good!)...this has it! See ya, H'wood

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Hollywood,
    I believe that its a requirement that you either ship a bottle to every member of this board or agree to bring one to the Bourbon Festival next year.

Enthusiast

Okay, update! Everyone by now knows that I shoot it straight, and don't pull many punches! The Conecuh Ridge is delicious, but must only be enjoyed neat. It is very, very, smooth. Almost too smooth, if you can believe that! I like a thick, thick, pour...and this is average on thickness. The taste is tremendous, but with a cube or cut with water its not the same. Enjoyed in a snifter the following ratings apply: Nose A, Taste A-, Thickness C (I'm very tough here!). The packaging..bottle,attractiveness,etc.....which don't count for much to me B+. See ya, H'wood