Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Question Are either of these unusual?

I found a bottle of WT101 with the small curled handle at the top of the jug tonight but don't know how to date it.

The same place has some Old Overhold I think 90 proof, and a 1.75 of Old Grand Dad 86 proof in a glass bottle. I'm in a hotel and having no luck with the search.

Thanks for any help!

Guru

Re: Are either of these unusual?

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ+Bourbon View Post

The same place has some Old Overhold I think 90 proof,
    and a 1.75 of Old Grand Dad 86 proof in a glass bottle.
    I'm in a hotel and having no luck with the search.

I've never had any luck with hotel searches.
    But it hasn't stopped the searching.
    ovh

Guru

Are these bottles in the hotel bar or did you find them in a local liquor store? As for dating the bottle, the easiest would be to flip the bottle over and look for a two digit date, typically in the lower right corner of the bottom.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

Sorry about the lack of clarity. I am posting from a crackberry and thus the trouble doing searches.

These bottles are in a nearby liqour store and the wt has a label that is unusual. It also has a wreath cast into the bottle above the label. It appears older than other bottles in the store. Is older wt preferable, and how much older?

The OGD 86 I have seen is in plastic so I wonder when they switched?

The OO is the first I've seen.

Of those three, is there a certain timeframe where they would be unusually good?

I'm just trying to make good use of my time in the hotel.

Thanks guys!

Guru

Sorry about the lack of clarity. I am posting from a crackberry and thus the trouble doing searches.

These bottles are in a nearby liqour store and the wt has a label that is unusual. It also has a wreath cast into the bottle above the label. It appears older than other bottles in the store. Is older wt preferable, and how much older?

The OGD 86 I have seen is in plastic so I wonder when they switched?

The OO is the first I've seen.

Of those three, is there a certain timeframe where they would be unusually good?

I'm just trying to make good use of my time in the hotel.

Thanks guys!
    The Turkey guys seem to think older is better. From my limited experience I would agree.

I've never seen OGD in plastic. I have had the old ND OGD and the current OGD and I frankly think the current is better, although some disagree.

I've had a small sample of pre-Beam OO (thanks Thomas!) and I thought it was good. Not spectactular but definately better than the current version which is basically the same as the Beam Yellow Label Rye.

Hope that helps.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

I found a bottle of WT101 with the small curled handle at the top of the jug tonight but don't know how to date it.

The same place has some Old Overhold I think 90 proof, and a 1.75 of Old Grand Dad 86 proof in a glass bottle. I'm in a hotel and having no luck with the search.

Thanks for any help!
    I think that which was sold as "old number 8" in half gallons after WT 101 lost its 8 year age statement had a small curled handle at the top.

Do the jugs have rounded off corners instead of a completely round body, or perhaps indentations where one might grasp the bottle by its middle? I seem to recall TW half gallons in the early or mid nineties looking like that.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 08-25-2009 at 19:11.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I think that which was sold as "old number 8" in half gallons after WT 101 lost its 8 year age statement had a small curled handle at the top.

Do the jugs have rounded off corners instead of a completely round body, or perhaps indentations where one might grasp the bottle by its middle? I seem to recall TW half gallons in the early or mid nineties looking like that.
    To be honest, I don't remember whether the bottle had either of those features. However, after paying attention to several other bottles of WT this one is unlike any other I've seen. Next time I'm in that town I'll pick up the bottle if it's around. What's the worst that could happen?

Virtuoso

The WT sometimes has a date on the rear label.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Virtuoso

WT also sometimes has a date on the neck wrapping.

Virtuoso

Any older Turkey is going to either going to have the eight year age statement or the "Old No. 8" on it, isn't it? I'd buy the eight year old without hesitation.