Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Forty Creek Bargain Or Bust?

I was coming home from work the other day and making my rounds of liquor stores on the way home. I passed another little out of the way place and it was closed at 15:00. Well, there is the maņana work ethic of Miami at work for ya. I drove by it again on Monday and it was open so I stepped in. Not much to see in regards to whiskies but on the way out I noted some closeouts on Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky. I read up on this around the net, including here and decided to go back to re-check the price. They are closing out this brand for $21.99 for the 1.75 bottle and $11.99 for the 750 bottle. From what I can tell that is a bargain. So, I took home four of the 1.75 bottles for mixer use. I haven't tasted it yet, but from what I have read this makes a great mixer, but like many Canadian Whiskys may not be a great sipping liquor. What should I expect from this stuff? I reckon they have another 6 of the big bottles left. Is that price worthy of another effort to go retrieve the remainder?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Forty Creek Bargain Or Bust?

It's all opinion, of course, but I purchased a mini of this a year or so ago, and could not finish the small pour I took from it. I thought it was dreadful. Maybe, it's better as a mixer, but the only thing it mixed with for me was the trash at the bottom of my wastebasket, when I threw the rest of the bottle away.

Boy, that sounded harsh.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Well, I just poured some over ice to make a sour. I tried a few blasts before I added the lemon and got some strong vanilla, butterscotch and some sort of citrus in the aftertaste. I like it. It does not have too much nose and is not too complex but I think this was a nice bargain for the price paid. It makes a nice sour too! I wonder how old these bottles are as I see different labels on newer bottles.

Guru

If you care to do an Advanced search for posts with the word "forty" and user "bluesbassdad", six hits will turn up, four of which relate to this bottling.

I hope I was telling the truth; I have no recollection as to how it tasted.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur

If you're accustomed to Scotch and/or bourbon, Canadian whisky will seem very mild by comparison. Just as one accumstomed to Canadian whisky might find bourbon harsh. Give yourself some time to adjust and you should start to get more out of the whisky than is first apparent.

I personally find Barrel Select slightly overrated. It is good, but there are many other Canadian whiskies I prefer.

Enthusiast

You just about pegged it. I would not consider this overly complex liquor but it is certainly not gut rot by any standard. I can enjoy spicey, hot whiskeys and I can enjoy sedate laid back drinks like this. I have eclectic tastes and can the see the joy in lots of things.

Enthusiast

Here they are. My $21.99 bargains. In the end this is not a bad drink. It is not overly complex but has some nice vanilla flavors and produces a very nice mixed drink. For the price I could not help loading up on these bottles!

Connoisseur

I'm having a glass of it right now, and I'm taking quite a liking to it. It has quite a different flavour profile than your average Canadian whisky, that's for sure.

Are those 1.75l bottles? In Ontario you get a 750ml for $23.99.

Enthusiast

Yes, those are 1.75l bottles. Not bad for $21.99, huh? If I were not pursuing other things I would go back to clear out the remainder.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I think it is an excellent product and seem to dissent from some in finding complexity. Its flavors IMO derive from the aging of largely unmalted grains, distilled at a not-overly high proof, in reused barrels or barrels that are not heavily charred. It reminds me in this respect of some Irish pure pot stills. Good whisky, good value, but it cuts a swath that is atypical of most North American whiskies.

Gary