Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Good Day Eh?, from the Great White North

yup, all the way from Canada. Tried some of that red corn squeezins about 10 years ago. Its been a happy ride! My favourite so far is Blantons, but I really like Bakers as well.

Gordy

Connoisseur

Re: Good Day Eh?, from the Great White North

Welcome to straight bourbon. Its good to see some of our brothers to the north know a good whiskey when they have one. What are some of your other favorites? How is the selection up there? Welcome again
    Dan
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Enthusiast

North!? Canada is South of here! But welcome!!
    Amy

Trippah and Admin

Howdy, Gord. That's a strong Canadian name, there.

What part of Canada are you from? I'm just across Lake Erie in northern Ohio.

Welcome to SB!
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Welcome! Been thru Kitchner a few times. If you ever make it to Windsor, let us know! We got a strong SE Michigan contingent! We'll meet up at the Tunnel BBQ for some meaty fun.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome, Gordy. Hey, will you do us a favor? Hunt down Gary Gillman (Gillman on this site), and tell him to stop in more. He ain't been around in awhile. He's somewhere in Toronto.

I hope you enjoy your time here. Great group of folks, with a ton of knowledge about Bourbonia.

Here's another interesting geographical fact, to go along with Bonneamie's. (OK, I think it's a fact It was told to me by some locals in East Tennessee, and I've been too dang lazy to check it out for myself...) But anywho...Mountain City, Tennessee (far NE corner of Tennessee) is closer to Canada, than it is to Memphis, Tennessee. Believe it, or not...Oh, the things you'll learn here, Gordy.

Cheers!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

Here's another interesting geographical fact, to go along with Bonneamie's. (OK, I think it's a fact It was told to me by some locals in East Tennessee, and I've been too dang lazy to check it out for myself...) But anywho...Mountain City, Tennessee (far NE corner of Tennessee) is closer to Canada, than it is to Memphis, Tennessee. Believe it, or not...Oh, the things you'll learn here, Gordy.

Cheers!
    With a quick Google Earth measurement, Point Pelee, Ontario is nearly 100 miles closer than Memphis.

Hey, they more you know.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Novice

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, As Ive said my bourbon experience has been fairly limited to Blantons and Bakers, Ive also liked Knob Hill , Bookers and one I cant find anymore called Evan Williams. Also, a friend of mine brought back a bottle of Rebel Yell and a bottle of George Dickel for me. Each has been a delight! Someday Id like to find an Old Forester..........the list goes on and on.

Been reading older posts and studying. Lots to learn!

Cheers !

Gordy

Atta Boy Gordy! Welcome to SB. Nice to see a person that does a little homework before they post. Been up your way a couple of times fishing. Dogtooth Lake near Kenora. Nice country.

Do you travel much? Having been up in that area, it seems that liquor stores would be few and far in between. Do laws/taxes vary by province? Like Dan asked, how's the selection up there? Anyway, hope you enjoy it here. Cheers, and have a good one. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

fishinbowljoe, the selection isnt that great in Kitchener. They used to stock alot of different ones years ago but now you cant even get Evan Williams or Bookers or even Blantons. Fortunately I like Knob Creek.

I asked one of the managers at the LCBO (liquor control board Ontario) why there isnt a better selection, he said no demand for it. Like h*ll, I was drinkin it as fast as I could!

Im sure there are a lot of really good ones Ive never heard of . Can anyone recommend any premium bourbons to keep an eye out for? I once tried a 12 yr old Van Winkles, and that was nice too.
    Bourbon- not just for breakfast anymore!