Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Greetings From Iowa

Hello SB!! I'm a 39 year old salesman for a chemical distributor here in Des Moines. I've really become a straight bourbon drinker in the last year or so after starting out with scotch, which I do still occasionally enjoy. I'm about done with my Booker's bottle which has been my favorite so far. WT 101 and Rare Breed, Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark and Knob Creek have all been enjoyed immensely. I have my eyes on the Pappy Van Winkle 20yr old or the WL Weller as my next bottle. I've really enjoyed looking around your forum the last couple of weeks and look forward to learning a lot from the good people here. Cheers!!

Guru

Re: Greetings From Iowa

Welcome, Moe

You'll find a wealth of information here. If you like Makers you will love Weller Antique, like Makers it is a wheater but it carries an age statement of seven years and is bottled at 107 proof.

Post often. Its always nice to see a fellow Midwesterner.

Novice

Where are you, NW of Peoria? I've got a lot of family around the Galesburg area and used to live in Princeton. Thanks for the recommendation.

Guru

I live just a few miles Northwest of Alexis, about a 25 minute drive from Galesburg.

Hello Moe, welcome to SB. You've got your foot in the door now. You seem to have started with some good bourbons. There's plenty more out there though. W. L. Weller or Pappy 20 are both excellent bourbons. Which Weller were you referring to? The BTAC W. L. Weller? Either way, I love anything with Weller or Van Winkle on it. Can't go wrong on either one. Hope you enjoy it here. Post when you pick up that next bottle, and let us know what you think. Cheer. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Hello Moe, welcome to SB. You've got your foot in the door now. You seem to have started with some good bourbons. There's plenty more out there though. W. L. Weller or Pappy 20 are both excellent bourbons. Which Weller were you referring to? The BTAC W. L. Weller? Either way, I love anything with Weller or Van Winkle on it. Can't go wrong on either one. Hope you enjoy it here. Post when you pick up that next bottle, and let us know what you think. Cheer. Joe
    Thanks for the welcome and recommendation Joe. I've heard good things about the BTAC iteration and also the 19yr old, though I don't know how accessible that is. Anything that pairs well with a cigar is alright by me.

Hi Moe from a fellow Iowan your right in the middle of the state no chance to jump the border, makes for slim pickens. But you are mentioning several that are not on the Iowa ABC list are you traveling out of state or having them shipped in or is the ABC list just out of date? I wouldn't know for sure the liquor stores in my part of Iowa are so small they don't have much. I jump the boarder to MO myself I also use the internet for the really special stuff. Hit me up if you need some web sites. Anyway I hope you enjoy the website there's really a bunch of great people on here with a great wealth of knowledge. Ask as many questions as you want they never get tired of answering them. We have chat it's call the gazebo the scheduled nights are Thursday and Sunday nights but it open all the time and you never know when some of us may be in there. It's great fun and informative. Post often give us your opinions have some fun and make some new friends.

Paul
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Hi Moe from a fellow Iowan your right in the middle of the state no chance to jump the border, makes for slim pickens. But you are mentioning several that are not on the Iowa ABC list are you traveling out of state or having them shipped in or is the ABC list just out of date? I wouldn't know for sure the liquor stores in my part of Iowa are so small they don't have much. I jump the boarder to MO myself I also use the internet for the really special stuff. Hit me up if you need some web sites. Anyway I hope you enjoy the website there's really a bunch of great people on here with a great wealth of knowledge. Ask as many questions as you want they never get tired of answering them. We have chat it's call the gazebo the scheduled nights are Thursday and Sunday nights but it open all the time and you never know when some of us may be in there. It's great fun and informative. Post often give us your opinions have some fun and make some new friends.

Paul
    Nice to meet you Paul. The one's I've tried have all been purchased here in Des Moines, the one's that I've listed as wanting to try I haven't seen around here so I may have to take you up on the website recommendations. It's funny, not too long ago I couldn't imagine someone drinking bourbon straight, and now I cringe when I see someone add Coke or anything to it. All it took was finding the right recommendation and I was hooked. I can't wait to try some of the ones I've read about on here already.