Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: The New Old Taylor, First Batch.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonv View Post
    What am I getting blamed for now??? After all, it was my research that inspired Buffalo Trace to make the Old Taylor using the recipe used by Taylor at OFC (Old Fashioned Fire under Taylor's ownership) and they even distilled it at a low proof and put it in the barrel at the lowest proof done in several decades. I am looking forward to tasting some of the whiskey. My bet is that at four years of age it will be better than many 7 or 8 years old bourbons.

Mike Veach
    This begs the question, what is the lowest distillation proof/barrel proof bourbon on the market today? On first blush I would guess WT, but I am nowhere near as educated as most on this forum.

Great job convincing the good folks at BT to do this, Mr. Veach.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Mike,
    I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to this juice. I am glad you worked BT into doing this...
    I'm with everyone else! I can't wait for a genuine, low entry proof dammit-all delicious whiskey, and that's what I'm hoping for!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Enthusiast

I tell you what, for all the crap BT gets for dropping age statements, raising the prices of premium brands, etc. Good for them for experimenting like this and trying to give us something like the bourbon of the good 'ol days (not that I've had that much bourbon from the good 'ol days, yet). I know they aren't mass producing it yet, but still.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by furious View Post
    This begs the question, what is the lowest distillation proof/barrel proof bourbon on the market today? On first blush I would guess WT,
    Yep it's WT and 4R's, Jimmy and Jim in Lawrenceburg do it right.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve are using a 110 barrel entry proof. Jimmy Russell will not say what the barrel proof is on Wild Turkey and I know it has gone up over the last two decades and I suspect it is also 110. Four Roses is going into the barrel at 120. The Old Taylor is going into the barrel at a proof closer to 100 than 110.

Mike Veach

Guru

Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve are using a 110 barrel entry proof. Jimmy Russell will not say what the barrel proof is on Wild Turkey and I know it has gone up over the last two decades and I suspect it is also 110. Four Roses is going into the barrel at 120. The Old Taylor is going into the barrel at a proof closer to 100 than 110.

Mike Veach
    I'm surprised to hear that MM and Woodford are that low. Is that all the barrels that go into Woodford, or just the whiskey distilled in Versailles?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

That is a good question about the Woodford. I suspect that it is just the ones that are made at Woodford, but I don't know that for sure. I will find out tomorrow since I am doing a Woodford Bourbon Academy with Chris tomorrow.

Mike Veach

Guru

That is a good question about the Woodford. I suspect that it is just the ones that are made at Woodford, but I don't know that for sure. I will find out tomorrow since I am doing a Woodford Bourbon Academy with Chris tomorrow.

Mike Veach
    Thanks Mike!

padpad
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Low barrel entry proof can be achieved by a low proof off the still or by adding more water. Woodford comes off the still at near the maximum of 160 proof. Wild Turkey comes off the still at 130 and goes into the barrel at 115. Beam actually has the lowest proof off the still to my knowledge, with Baker's and Booker's, which come off at 125 and go into the barrel that way, with no water added. So Turkey has a lower entry proof, but Beam has a lower proof off the still.

Connoisseur

Good points Chuck.

Mike Veach