Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Old Grand Dad 114?

I was just wondering how many of you have tried old grand dad 114 and what your thoughts were. It's barrel proof, and inexpensive (for a barrel proof bourbon) so i wanted to give it a try. Also, i am planning on pickingup a bottle of evan williams single barrel. I love the regular black label and it's an incredible value for the quality your getting. Plus the single barrel is a TRUE single barrel, and i've heard good things. Just looking for some feedback on both ofthem. Thanks

Re: Old Grand Dad 114?

Although at one time barrel proof was around 114 -- and the original OGD 114 was at barrel strength for awhile -- the current issue (while a very old bottling might be) isn't barrel proof, just always 114 proof (it would be pretty hard to get every batch to come in at 114 without any dilution).
    Old Grand-Dad is the one brand Jim Beam has treated gently from the portfolio it got from National Distillers back in '87. They've adopted the same grain bill (also used for Basil Hayden's), and the same bottlings -- 86, 100/BIB, and the 114.
    The best are very rich with fruit (orange, in particular) and spice, and have great mouthfeel. For some reason, personally, I seem to like OGD bottles, at whichever proof, after they've been open awhile, and a couple of inches have been poured off the top.
    Tim

I am biased because OGD BIB is one of my favorites, but I really like the OGD 114. I introduced a friend of mine to the BIB a few weeks ago and he liked it so I broke out the 114 for him this weekend. He said he liked it, but he is a scotch/irish whiskey drinker and I think the strength was too much for him.

I like it for the same reason I like the BIB, it's taste profile is so different from my other bourbons. I have several bourbons that I wouldn't necessarily know what I was drinking if someone poured me a glass and didn't tell me what it was. However, I can take a sip of OGD and I know it is OGD.

You should definitely try it for the price, if you don't like it you haven't lost much, if you love it you have found a great bargain.

Enthusiast

I like the taste, esp. as a 'sunset watching' drink. It's also my 'backpacking' bourbon. 4 oz of 114 ~ 6 oz of 80 proof. I'd rather pack high proof whusk than cut the handle off my toothbrush to save 2 oz.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Guru

The new version of the OGD 114 does not do it for me, but a couple weeks ago I opened a late 70s version (tax stamp) and it was great. As I understand all of teh "old label" versions are better..

Disciple

I like it a lot, but it is an odd stile of bourbon to me. Dry, spicy and lots of citrus down under.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Old Grand Dad 114?

OGD 114 is, in my opinion, one of the very best bourbons you can get. It is just a bonus that it has not been very expensive. It has qualities and flavors that put it in a league with Blanton's.

Easily in my top ten, maybe even top five.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    ... I seem to like OGD bottles, at whichever proof, after they've been open awhile, and a couple of inches have been poured off the top.
    I am new to whiskey and spirits. But what I've noticed from all my tastings is this very point. It seems to my taste that they always taste better after the few initial pours. Same goes for cognac and other spirits. Is there a reason for this?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The likely answer is that certain compounds in the spirit become volatile after opening, and they lift off. Presumably, harsher-tasting ones leave first, or more of them than pleasing-tasting ones. At some point though the process must stabilize since many of us here have sampled decades-old bottlings which tasted pretty good. The average seal is not tight enough to prevent evaporation and a small amount of loss is usually evident after some decades, yet often the spirit tastes like it should. Maybe this occurs where the bottle is full so relatively few compounds (higher alcohols, aldehydes, etc.) leave in the result. Sometimes though the taste seems off after many years, and perhaps there the process continued for certain reasons long after it ceased all utility from the drinker's standpoint. Maybe the bottle was stored in a hot environment for example, hastening departure of liquid from the neck. There is perhaps a scientifically predictable sweet spot but most bourbon is consumed quickly and the question therefore is really academic. In practice, peoppe keep the bottles for a time, and that is enough to show improvement.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-23-2008 at 20:42.

Enthusiast

OGD 114 is one of my favorites. I can enjoy it neat on a nice, cool evening or mixed with Cola when at a social function. At around $24 a bottle, it is definitely worth the price, IMO
    ____
    Chris