Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

New guy in PA (near Michter's)

Hello all,

My name is Ethan and I live in PA dutch country. Manheim to be exact. I just started getting into whiskey within the past year and finding what is good has been a fun task. I don't drink to get drunk, escape my problems, or any of that stuff. I drink whisky for 2 reasons. I have found the flavor very pleasant and a great beverage to drink mixed into sodas. Secondly, I have blood circulation issues so to keep my blood thin I am supposed to drink small amounts of alcohol daily so I don't need blood thinners. All that said, I am glad I found this group and have quite a few questions!

First off- I refrigerate my whiskey. I was told this was a no-no. Now that I have been refrigerating it, can I take it back out and store it in a cabinet or will that harm it? I've got some Evan Williams, Jim Beam white label, Maker's Mark, and Michter's (Kentucky production) small batch bourbon in the fridge right now.

Secondly- I am a HUGE fan of Michter's. I mean the old Schaefferstown distillery and products. I live about 20 minutes for the distillery and take trips up there now and then to see what's going on- which usually isn't much! I have started collecting Michter's decanters and other memorabilia. I was lucky enough to get a gold pot still replica decanter and also a full glass 750ml bottle with display. One thing that I have noticed, and it became very apparant after reading the various Michter's sites online, is that there is "Michter's", but also "Michter's Jug House." Also, I have noticed that some of my items are "decanted and jugged (or bottled)" and others are "distilled and bottled." My glass 750 even goes so far as to be stamped "bottled in Pennsylvania." So was there a chance that Michter's products were not always full of Michter's whiskey??? This is all quite fascinating and I would like more info on Michter's.

Connoisseur

Re: New guy in PA (near Michter's)

Oddly, my neighbor just dropped off an almost full Michter's Peace Candle decanter that he just won at an auction (he's an antiques dealer). It had a broken cork and the whiskey would leak a little if it was tipped so I carefully removed the rest of the cork and poured the contents into a glass Ball jar. Now I can finally taste some of the greatest whiskey on earth!

Virtuoso

Ethan,
    Welcome to the site. There are many posts here about Michter's and their most famous whiskies, the Hirsch bottlings of various ages. I've tried a little Hirsch but have't been able to try the real Michter's yet.
    Start readin', drinkin' and postin'!
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Connoisseur

I feel terrible drinking such a rare whiskey, but I'd rather consume it than have it evaporate slowly into the air! Eventhough I am new to whiskey drinking, the small amount I sampled last night when I transferred the whiskey into the jar was MUCH better tasting than the other stuff I have right now.

Virtuoso

Drink up. I believe there are still many Michter's decanters around.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

Welcome Ethan. I live in Sinking Spring. Next time you are planning to come up this way, let me know and maybe we can get together for a drink.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Welcome to SB Ethan. Glad to have you here. Don't ever feel bad about drinking good bourbon/whiskey. That's why it was made. Hope you enjoy the website. It's a good place to learn a few things about bourbon, meet some new people, and have a little fun too. Cheers. Joe (not the one in PA)
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Thanks guys. Right now I am trying to find which whiskeys I like and which I don't. I think living in PA is sort of hampering my choices since it's not as easily available here. I've tried Jack Daniels, Windsor Canadian, Jim Beam Black, Jim Beam white, Evan Williams, Maker's Mark, Michter's small batch bourbon (Kentucky stuff), and a small amount of my newly acquired Michter's pot still whiskey. I must say that I do like the Jim Beam(s), the Maker's Mark, and the Michter's the best. Evan Williams, Windsor, and Jack all seem to not have as deep a flavor and some seem a little harsh drinking. Probably because they're cheaper? Is there anything on the market that is easily available that is similar to the Michter's Pennsylvania production whiskey? None of the others that I have are anything like it in taste or smell.

Taster

hey welcome aboard...
    I live near bourbonjoe, so we can make it a threesome!!!
    To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
    Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

Connoisseur

I finally sampled some of my Michter's I removed from a decanter. HOLY SMOKES is that stuff strong! It was sealed in the decanter and the whiskey is clean and clear so I guess it's still good, but I think I could run the car on it! It had a good flavor, but there is no way on earth it is still only 86 proof!