Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: rock Hill Farms age

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    I am implying that since they are single barrel expressions, the age may vary greatly between bottles.
    Gotcha....
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

I checked my bottle that I have in the bunker and there is no age statement on the bottle...I seem to recall reading someplace that is 8 years old.

Enthusiast

This question is kinda moot, because of the Single Barrel Method, which basically goes like this-- "It doesn't matter how old the spirit is. When the Master Distiller decides the barrel of spirit has aged to the point where the spirit tastes the way he wants it to taste, it gets bottled."

It could be 4 years. It could be 12 years. It probably varies widely, depending on the rick-house, and the barrel's location within it. It also varies by year, as the weather in some years ages the spirit more quickly than others.

Since I've started drinking Blanton's, and certain blended Scotch (*cough* Compass Box *cough*), I haven't been putting as much stock in age statements as I used to...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    This question is kinda moot, because of the Single Barrel Method, which basically goes like this-- "It doesn't matter how old the spirit is. When the Master Distiller decides the barrel of spirit has aged to the point where the spirit tastes the way he wants it to taste, it gets bottled."

It could be 4 years. It could be 12 years. It probably varies widely, depending on the rick-house, and the barrel's location within it. It also varies by year, as the weather in some years ages the spirit more quickly than others.

Since I've started drinking Blanton's, and certain blended Scotch (*cough* Compass Box *cough*), I haven't been putting as much stock in age statements as I used to...
    That's one theory several SB are a selected age EWSB is 10, ERSB is 10, EC18 is 18, EZBR is 15.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 09-09-2009 at 08:55.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Trippah and Admin

The age stated single barrels are considerably more variable from year to year or bottling to bottling. This is neither a plus or a minus, just a facet of their uniqueness. Read the reviews here and I beileve that they back me up on this.

The nas single barrels are much more consistent over time.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Scott & Boss 302

I don't disagree with either one of you picking barrels at their peek of maturity is the best option, irregardless of age. I was just saying I think most have pre set ages that they select. I could be wrong on this. I know WTKS is nas, RHF is nas, what about FRSB?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Trippah and Admin

FRSB is NAS as well. The only time I've seen an age associated with FR juice is their special bottlings like Mariage or the yearly SB's and even then it's not on the label, but on a neck tag.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?