Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Red and Proud of it...

This wax on different spirits bottles makes me think of a much less obvious example.

It makes me think of the 'very different' worlds that Apple Music and Apple Computers lived in 25 years ago. IIRC, they signed an agreement that one would stay out of the music world and one would stay out of the computer world. Made perfect sense back in the mid 80s.

Fast forward 20 years, and computers are more central to distributing music than every form of music conveyance that existed in the early 1980s - and well, Apple computers is now a key world player in distributing recorded music. Resolving the agreement of decades ago I'm sure was a bit sticky.

Compared to that situation that nobody could have anticipated, the worldwide spirits parent company of MM wanting to expand it's use of the sloppy red wax to other spirits is obvious to any reasonable person. Protecting that option for the future requires constant diligence.

I don't like the trademark and intellectual property lawyers at Maker's parent company for doing this (from whatever city or country their offices are located), but they have to look active in front of their bosses, or it might look like their jobs, perhaps, were never really necessary.

As they say in the Godfather films, it's just business...

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 09-13-2009 at 09:57.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    Anyone who would mistake a tequilla bottle for a bourbon bottle probably doesn't care what they are drinking, anyway.
    It's possible that they are worried about consumers who associate the red wax with MM also thinking that MM has expanded into the tequila market...

To me, the darker red wax with the embossed seal on the tequila differentiates from the bright, shiny red wax of the MM, so I really doubt the issue of consumer confusion is a problem. Although, in the words of P.T. Barnum, "You will never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    It's possible that they are worried about consumers who associate the red wax with MM also thinking that MM has expanded into the tequila market...

To me, the darker red wax with the embossed seal on the tequila differentiates from the bright, shiny red wax of the MM, so I really doubt the issue of consumer confusion is a problem. Although, in the words of P.T. Barnum, "You will never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
    I can understand the reasonings behind what MM is doing. My statement was more in jest than anything else.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Trippah and Admin

Here's another thread here about it.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...+mark+tendrils
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Wonder if MM will be going after these guys as well?...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

I wouldn't even go near that second photo.
    Ewww, gross...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I wouldn't even go near that second photo.
    Ewww, gross...
    FYI, that is a Blair's hot sauce. He's bottled a few,
    including a Guinness World Record holder for "...the
    hottest chili product commercially available." Many
    are described as "...not a sauce or an ingredient" and
    sold as "...EXPERIMENTAL/DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY".

So, it'd unlikely you'd wanna swig of that one.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    FYI, that is a Blair's hot sauce. He's bottled a few,
    including a Guinness World Record holder for "...the
    hottest chili product commercially available." Many
    are described as "...not a sauce or an ingredient" and
    sold as "...EXPERIMENTAL/DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY".

So, it'd unlikely you'd wanna swig of that one.
    Sounds similar to the capsaicin extract based hot sauces like the gimmick brands Dave's Insanity Sauce and Ass in Tub/Space. (Does anybody really like the flavor of these, or is it just about bragging rights?)

Roger

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    Sounds similar to the capsaicin extract based hot sauces like the gimmick brands Dave's Insanity Sauce and Ass in Tub/Space. (Does anybody really like the flavor of these, or is it just about bragging rights?)

Roger
    I'm guessing it has more to do with bragging rights than anything else, but there will always be a few people out there who will claim to actually like the stuff. At roughly 180,000 Scoville units (compared to Tabasco's approximately 5,000 units), I'd have to think those people who say they enjoy it are pretty much full of sh*t, but to each his own. I've eaten incredibly hot Indian food over the years and yet managed to ruin a barbecue dinner once by putting just a few drops of Dave's Insanity Sauce on some pulled pork. If you're gonna bring the heat, bring the flavor too!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    ...If you're gonna bring the heat, bring the flavor too!

Amen, Bunky.

I like habanero salsas as much as the next chilehead, especially when there's carrot mixed in for sweetness and body, and I just started my yearly batch of tiny Asian peppers steeped in rice wine vinegar (they look like small Tabasco peppers, not sure what the family at the farmer's market calls them). But I don't get the flavorless, scalding heat of Ass in Space and that ilk.

Maybe Barturtle will weigh in to help us understand his love of capsaicin extract sauces.

Roger