Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Re: Red and Proud of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    Sounds similar to the capsaicin extract based hot sauces like the gimmick brands Dave's Insanity Sauce and Ass in Tub/Space. (Does anybody really like the flavor of these, or is it just about bragging rights?)

Roger
    I used to buy Blairs Megadeath sauce regularly..... I've also got a couple of Dave's special reserves (but they are not open.) It was definately just bragging rights for me to eat these sauces because lately, I've come to realise that if you ignore the heat, these sauces don't have a great flavour. Give me a mild sweet chilli sauce packed with flavour over this stuff anytime

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm quite happy with the wimpiest hot sauce on the market, Frank's Red Hot. I will hit Tabasco and some Hab sauces now and then, and I dust a lot of vegetables with cayenne, but Frank's is my go-to. People who like ultra hot foods are often the same ones who want the over-proof whiskeys and other spirits, and drink them neat. I don't judge.

But since I've entered the thread, let me add my two cents. No one would deny that Maker's trademark is very valuable. The protectable limits of a trademark are only knowable through actions to protect it. It's worth it to them to see if they can stretch it a little bit. Obviously, they can't claim an exclusive right to wax seals. Those are common. They have already won cases based on an exclusive right to the tendrils. Since Cuervo got rid of their tendrils, I assume Maker's is claiming an exclusive right to that particular shade of red in a wax seal.

I haven't read the complaint or looked into the previous action between these two parties, but I suspect there is something in the previous decision that makes them believe they have a reasonable chance of prevailing in this case.
    Last edited by cowdery; 09-15-2009 at 18:10.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I'm quite happy with the wimpiest hot sauce on the market, Frank's Red Hot. I will hit Tabasco and some Hab sauces now and then, and I dust a lot of vegetables with cayenne, but Frank's is my go-to. People who like ultra hot foods are often the same ones who want the over-proof whiskeys and other spirits, and drink them neat. I don't judge.
    Franks is a fine sauce and Tabasco is an American institution. The fastest way to tell a true hot sauce lover from a poseur is to ask them how they feel about Tabasco. If they poopoo it, then you know they're the latter.

And for the record, I love hot food, but I don't drink barrel-proof whiskeys neat. Nor do I know everybody in my state.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

No one would deny that Maker's trademark is very valuable. The protectable limits of a trademark are only knowable through actions to protect it.
    Just to give an idea why companies fight hard, sometimes ridiculously so, here is a list of words that USED to be trademarks, but were not defended vigorously enough (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_trademarks):

* Aspirin Still a Bayer trademark name for acetylsalicylic acid in about 80 countries, including Canada and many countries in Europe, but declared generic in the U.S.
    * Cellophane Originally a trademark of DuPont.
    * Dry ice Trademarked by the Dry Ice Corporation of America in 1925.
    * Escalator Originally a trademark of Otis Elevator Company.
    * Heroin Trademarked by Friedrich Bayer & Co in 1898.
    * Hoover This is a trademarked product from the Hoover Company, North Canton, Ohio. Its popularity, mainly in the United Kingdom, led to vacuum cleaners being referred to as Hoovers.
    * Kerosene First used around 1852.
    * Lanolin Trademarked as the term for a preparation of sheep fat and water.
    * Laundromat coin laundry shop.
    * Linoleum Floor covering, originally coined by Frederick Walton in 1864, and ruled as generic following a lawsuit for trademark infringement in 1878; probably the first product name to become a generic term.
    * Mimeograph Originally trademarked by Albert Dick.
    * Pilates exercise system United States trademark formally canceled by court in 2000.
    * Thermos Originally a Thermos GmbH trademark name for a vacuum flask; declared generic in the U.S. in 1963.
    * Touch-tone Dual tone multi-frequency telephone signaling; AT&T states "formerly a trademark of AT&T".
    * Trampoline Originally trademarked by George Nissen for the generic "rebound tumbler"
    * Videotape Originally trademarked by Ampex Corporation., an early manufacturer of audio and video tape recorders.
    * Webster's Dictionary The publishers with the strongest link to the original are Merriam-Webster, but they have a trademark only on "Merriam-Webster", and other dictionaries are legally published as "Webster's Dictionary".
    * Yo-Yo Still a Papa's Toy Co. Ltd. trademark name for a spinning toy in Canada, but declared generic in the U.S. in 1965.
    * Zipper Originally a trademark of B.F. Goodrich.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I can add a little on Laundromat from personal experience. Westinghouse Electric Company coined the term for their brand of coin-operated laundry equipment and registered the trademark. The trademark originally applied to the equipment itself and only by extension to the business that used the Westinghouse-made machines.

My dad was an engineer for them and whenever he would see an offending coin-operated laundry, he would dutifully write down the name and address of the offender, and pass it along to the company's legal department. They eventually told him not to bother because they had given up trying to defend it. The word was just too useful, and violations were so persistent, that they couldn't afford to keep it up. Dad was very disappointed.

Part of the problem, in that and many of the other cases, was in the fact that all of the violators were small operations. Also, trademark law has evolved quite a bit since the 1960s, which is the period I'm talking about. Now you can get damages that get people's attention. I think Westinghouse also did a poor job of linking the two brands together, so very few people automatically thought "Westinghouse" when they heard "Laundromat."

That's a good list. I think it helps people understand how ephemeral trademarks can be.
    Last edited by cowdery; 09-15-2009 at 19:02.

Guru

I like barrel proof bourbons and ryes. Cask strength scotches not so much, I think they benefit from a little water. But I'm a complete wimp when it comes to spicy food. Like Chuck, I like Frank's Red Hot. I also liked something called Tiger Sauce. Despite its name it wasn't very hot and had good flavor. It was kinda sweet and I quite liked it on my scrambled eggs. In fact I'd say it was milder than Frank's. But I can't find it anymore.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I like barrel proof bourbons and ryes. Cask strength scotches not so much, I think they benefit from a little water. But I'm a complete wimp when it comes to spicy food. Like Chuck, I like Frank's Red Hot. I also liked something called Tiger Sauce. Despite its name it wasn't very hot and had good flavor. It was kinda sweet and I quite liked it on my scrambled eggs. In fact I'd say it was milder than Frank's. But I can't find it anymore.

http://www.redbagcollection.com/tigersauce.html ???? Is this it? never tried it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    http://www.redbagcollection.com/tigersauce.html ???? Is this it? never tried it before.

Yep, That's it.

Thanks for the link. If I can't find any the next time I go shopping, I think I'll order some from them.