Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2009

I have never had the bourbon fairy drop by my car. Perhaps I'll start leaving the doors unlocked and see if that helps.

No major purchases lately. My bank account is about a thousand dollars lower than I expected so I put off some PVW20 for a few days. I did grab a regular ETL and an OF Signature in humbrage of Josh's post the other day. Oh, and an 00 Weller 107 is en route.

Thanks to Erich for some help.

Disciple

A few more bottles for the bunker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ+Bourbon View Post
    I have never had the bourbon fairy drop by my car. Perhaps I'll start leaving the doors unlocked and see if that helps.

No major purchases lately. My bank account is about a thousand dollars lower than I expected so I put off some PVW20 for a few days. I did grab a regular ETL and an OF Signature in humbrage of Josh's post the other day. Oh, and an 00 Weller 107 is en route.

Thanks to Erich for some help.

anytime. It's what I'm here for- let me know how amazing that stuff is?

today, as I hunted around town I found a bottle of Old Taylor 6 year from ND. I also found a bottle of Russel's Reserve 101 in a hole-in-the-wall place that literally had nothing else even remotely interesting.

I opened the taylor earlier today, and was rewarded with that amazing butterscotch aroma that ND somehow managed to bottle. currently, it isn't following through into the taste as much, but I've heard it probably just needs some more air. It's damned good whiskey- I paid 15 dollars after tax for a litre, and it's something I wouldn't mind drinking on a regular basis.

The RR101- that's another bird entirely. I've never seen a bottle of this stuff around, and it was a total fluke (feather?) I stopped in that particular liquor store. of course, as soon as I started pulling the cork, it snapped! I was able to retrieve the rest of it from the neck of the bottle without any of it getting into the bottle- thank goodness the bottom of it didn't disentegrate as well!

After Matt's experience with corked whiskey, I was really concerned that it would be ruined. thankfully, that's not the case, this stuff is seriously good juice and I'm pretty sure it tastes just like the sample I had at spun_cookie's house. lots of rye, some citrus on the nose, lots of complexity, sweet delicious with the corn always hovering. I did a side-by-side with a bottle of RB I have, and the Rare breed smells like burning sawdust in comparison. this is by far the best bottle of turkey I've ever owned, but then I'm new to this kind of (dusty) thing.

two things, though... firstly, I still think the early 90's 8 year turkey is just, if not more, drinkable (if only I could find some!). and secondly, the taylor holds its own! It's not as complex, but it's just as drinkable. impressive for a middle-to-lower shelf bourbon out of the 80s. I hope I find more....
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

A bottle of Pure Kentucky after I noticed the label on the back that said it was 13 years old...distilled in 92 and bottled in 2005. Not too bad for $27 and I haven't seen it much and didn't know it had an age statement.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    A bottle of Pure Kentucky after I noticed the label on the back that said it was 13 years old...distilled in 92 and bottled in 2005. Not too bad for $27 and I haven't seen it much and didn't know it had an age statement.
    Very cool. I'm hoping to pick up some age statemented KBD offerings soon myself.

But today I picked up the last bottle of JBDS at my local haunt. I hope there's more in the pipeline, I really dig this stuff!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Grabbed a bottle each of OWA (NAS) and EWSB 2000.

Guru

Well... it took long enough, but I did find some WT 8 yr. Found 2 Literes for $30 and one 700ml for $36... I left the 700ml behind

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Well... it took long enough, but I did find some WT 8 yr. Found 2 Literes for $30 and one 700ml for $36... I left the 700ml behind
    Would those be the current 8 yr, or the delicious dusties????

For me...... 1 more bottle of Stagg in the bunker.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    I have a bottle of Pure Kentucky XO Batch 07-120. Anybody know the difference between the one's with no age statement, and the ones with? Other than of course, you know how old some are.

Going from the UPC on the back, and the PDFs that were posted. This was bottled by Old Pogue?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    Would those be the current 8 yr, or the delicious dusties????
    Just the new stuff... I have ran dry on finding the old ones... I need to go dusty hunting... I think I will drag Erich where I have been thinking about when he monves here...