Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 43 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2009

As I hade been drinking beer on a beer festival Friday-Saturday so my liver made somersaults in my stomach I only had one pour of WTRRR yesterday. Must say that oxidation has improved this bottle a lot. Still on the light side but the flavours are more subtle now and the body isn’t as thin anymore.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

4R1B, neat.

ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A Sazerac. I have figured out over time the formulation I like. Generally, it is 2/3rds whiskey, one third brandy, a dash or two of absinthe or similar, and bitters.

Today I used Jack D., Buffalo Trace and Canadian whisky for the whiskey side, Portuguese brandy for the brandy part, and some 1970's Pernod Ricard and Portuguese absinthe for the anise hit. Bitters are Angostura and Peychaud's.

In this case I added ice.

You could use any brandy, any American one or any Cognac would be fine. I like Iberian brandy because it has a little sweetness which means you have just enough in the drink, no sugar is needed.

It is a very good drink if you get the balance right, hard to describe the taste, but I know it when I get it right. Sometimes I use orange bitters for a hint of that savour.

Gary

Guru

Maker's Mark.

I picked up a 375ml today while I was taking my wife's car in for service. The liquor store was in walking distance of the garage. I don't normally buy smaller sizes but I had been meaning to buy some Maker's, mostly as an act of anti-government solidarity, ever since I read about Bill Samuels dropping the price of Maker's in KY 6% as a protest of a tax hike there. I hadn't pulled the triger on buying a fifth since most of my whiskey dollars have been going to OWA and hopefuly whenever a certain store in Peoria gets the Antique Collection in more will be spent there. Like I said, I don't normaly but smaller sizes, but this bottle caught my eye, its a perfect half scale of a 750. Maybe that's common. I've seen a few JD 375's like that, but not many. Its a cute little bottle.

Anyhow, the whiskey is just like I remember it, decent mild flavor with a short short finish.

Trippah and Admin

It's Monday night, so you know what that means. A BT on the rocks with a couple of cherries hit the spot after bowling.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    It's Monday night, so you know what that means. A BT on the rocks with a couple of cherries hit the spot after bowling.
    Bowls.

On a similar note, I'm enjoying Old Fitz BiB on the rocks with a cherry from my friends Sable & Rosenfeld.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

I was tasting some cheap-o's; had a HH BIB 6yr white label, and a VOB 6 yr 86pf. Conclusion: I wont replace the HH, and i'm always proud of the value of VOB.
    "Don't let kids make your Manhattan... they use way too much vermouth."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I was tasting some cheap-o's; had a HH BIB 6yr white label, and a VOB 6 yr 86pf. Conclusion: I wont replace the HH, and i'm always proud of the value of VOB.
    Waterbed Kev! good to see you posting again grasshopper.

Two of my faves. I do concede that the VOB, even the 86, is better than the HH BiB whitey, tho.

Two game winning streak, all three Purdue NFL QB's are on undefeated teams...it's a good time to be a Boiler!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Only a pour of OGD 114 before dinner yesterday, as I still prefer to keep it low after my beer massacre last weekend. It tasted very well and really teased my appetite.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

While visiting a friend last night , we sat for a number of hours and enjoyed a pretty nice spread of bourbons.

'75 Yellowstone 86pf
    Personal vatting of Charter 101 and AAA 10 year
    PHC first release
    Re-barrel project of Old Bourbon Hollow BIB and HH BIB (1.5 yrs in 5L barrel)
    '05 Stagg, spring and fall
    WT American Spirit

Couple of interesting points. The Yellowstone was fantastic. Thick and lush mouthfeel and a finish that lingered on. The re-barrel was terrific and I think the proof was in excess of entry. The color was coffee like and the taste was full flavored with pleasant wood tones. Of the Staggs, I preferred the fall over spring release. Of course the company and cigars were a perfect compliment to really great bourbon.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog