Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

A cheat sheet for all of the abbreviations?

I can figure out a few and I am clueless about many. I normally just ignore the ones I can't decipher and just move on, but that is not helping with my education. I have looked around for a cheat sheet not no joy yet. Can anyone point me to a source so I can be a bit less clueless?
    Cheers.

Guru

Re: A cheat sheet for all of the abbreviations?

We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

I thought I read a reference to one on here, obviously I did not look good enough.

Thanks Squire, your my newest hero.

Enthusiast

Why can't people type the name of the whiskey? Why should it be necessary to refer to a list of abbreviations?

Guru

I've often wondered this myself, as it certainly complicates things for newcomers. I swing back and forth between typing out the words and using the abbreviations, finding the "shorthand" useful when referring to the (fairly) obvious (i.e.-WT101, OGD, etc.). But even after being an active member now for roughly 7 years, I am sometimes stumped as hell myself by things that people type, especially when referring to special bottlings and limited releases. Like Darwin, I am prone to simply skipping over some posts if I find the decoding too laborious.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I think it's something that has crept into the vernacular due to messaging from keypads. OMG, WTF, it would seem the kids communicate in acronyms.

I try to keep my posts legible enough that a new member doesn't need a decoder ring.

Virtuoso

I'm kinda with you, Fricky as well as Unclebunk. I generally am able to understand the abbreviations; but occasionally encounter one that stumps me.
    I think it is probably off-putting to some newcomers. I wonder if some newbies feel like it's a kind of 'secret handshake', or some form of initiation that they must go through.
    I often type the entire name of brands, especially if they are less commonly available ones, just for the less-initiated.
    I suppose I too, sometimes abbreviate, making my meaning less clear, just to save keystrokes; thus saving wear and tear on my one good typing finger. HA!

Hopefully I/we'll be able to provide some updates to the abbreviation list when the new site goes online. In the mean time, if any of y'all have any that aren't currently on the list, send me a pm. I'll make a list.

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

The Boss

I'm with ya Doug, but it's a little late for that

The new forum software we are preparing to deploy has acronym expansion functionality. In English, that means that when you move your mouse cursor over "GTS" in a thread, a little box will appear next to it that says "George T. Stagg". Granted, it can't do that for anything it hasn't been told about, and building up the list will take awhile, but it will deprecate that ancient post referenced earlier in this thread.
    Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Guru

Jim my arthritic wrists thank you.