Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 45 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 3.0 (The Subliminal Verses)

Can't speak to the quality of the 23, but the 21 is currently the best and most favoritest thing I have in my whiskey arsenal. Of course, YMMV. First time I've ever gotten to use that expression around here. :P

Id love to be able to compare it to the 23, but never seen it around these parts. Think I do have a lead on another 21 however. Sorry LostBottle!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Can't speak to the quality of the 23, but the 21 is currently the best and most favoritest thing I have in my whiskey arsenal. Of course, YMMV. First time I've ever gotten to use that expression around here. :P

Id love to be able to compare it to the 23, but never seen it around these parts. Think I do have a lead on another 21 however. Sorry LostBottle!
    Glad to see you are drinking and enjoying it! A word of caution though, once you develop a taste for older ryes, there is nothing else like them and your bourbon may not taste quite as good anymore - they are also nearly impossible to find.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    We'll try this again this is about 3/4 of my stash....
    I see that 3rd Split Label hiding on that shelf... Time to break one open!

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    I see that 3rd Split Label hiding on that shelf... Time to break one open!
    There is a split label open the cork broke so its decanted into a different bottle.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    We'll try this again this is about 3/4 of my stash. Attachment 13977
    Much better. A lot of those look familiar and tasty. I may have to break down and see if I can focus as good as this after a few glasses.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Maybe the V21 bottle had been open for too long, or perhaps for not long enough.

Since you like the V23, you might like Lenell's Red Hook Rye, or the older Willett 23 year ryes. Those were my personal holy grails (SW can go jump in a lake), and I finally got to have a Lenell's last month. It was a bit sour and really, really woody to my taste. I don't think I found the V23 sour, but the extremely oaky profile of the Lenell's reminded me of the V23.
    Rathskellar Rye is 130+pf and is a Willet bottling from the same Medley batch, if my taste buds are serving me correctly. I had a taste of it at the Seelbach in Louisville where they still have stock to replace the bottle on the bar when it runs out. I've also tasted an imported VWFRR that was unchillfiltered and more than 100pf (I don't remember exactly) that I believe to be part of the same family. The BMH 23 also seems similar.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Aaron, I am surpised on this one as I usually agree with your WhiskeyWonka reviews. I have to say I find the Vintage Rye 21 to be far better than the tired and over-oaked 23 - these two whiskeys are not even close. In fact, I think with its perfect amount of wood and still vibrant profile, the 21 may be one of the greatest ryes ever. I encourage you to re-taste the Vintage 21; my bet is you had a bad sample and a second try will not leave you underwhelmed.
    The taste I had of the V21 was in a bar in Bardstown, so there's no telling how long it had been open. I haven't seen it on a store shelf, so I'm far from having written it off. I've found two V23s, so I've been able to drink plenty of it. I recently heard that the V21 and V23 are from different sources, which I found interesting, but made sense, as I couldn't tell a family resemblance between the two. I wouldn't hesitate to snatch up a bottle of the V21 if I saw it on a shelf at a reasonable price.

And in a small effort to stay on topic here, I do have a Ritt 23yo stashed away that I've never tasted. I tasted one ultra-aged Ritt that I loved, but I think it was the 21yo.
    Last edited by AaronWF; 08-04-2012 at 17:06.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

No bar area in current home so for now my collection is confined to a lone oak cabinet.DSC00533.jpgDSC00531.jpgDSC00530.jpgDSC00529.jpg

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    No bar area in current home so for now my collection is confined to a lone oak cabinet.DSC00533.jpgDSC00531.jpgDSC00530.jpgDSC00529.jpg
    Great collection!!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    No bar area in current home so for now my collection is confined to a lone oak cabinet.
    You made that lone oak cabinet look very, very nice!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

You got that right, I'd be lonely with that cabinet any day....
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery