Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 52 of 137 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 3.0 (The Subliminal Verses)

So my wife cleared all the books from this cabinet after the shelves went up and I managed to commandeer it for my stash.

IMG_0320.jpg
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by oke&coke View Post
    So my wife cleared all the books from this cabinet after the shelves went up and I managed to commandeer it for my stash.

IMG_0320.jpg
    Looks like it turned out to be a pretty nice display cabinet,you should commend your wife on letting you occupy the space.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Looks like it turned out to be a pretty nice display cabinet,you should commend your wife on letting you occupy the space.
    Who said anything about letting me. I did it while she was in bed. Wait until she wakes up then we will see what happens.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by oke&coke View Post
    Who said anything about letting me. I did it while she was in bed. Wait until she wakes up then we will see what happens.
    In that case, nice move?
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Looks awesome Will! Hopefully I can add something unique to your stash next year when I'm back for vacation

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Looks awesome Will! Hopefully I can add something unique to your stash next year when I'm back for vacation
    And you are welcome to browse it when you get here.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I think it might officially be starting to be an obsession...

This weekend after cleaning up the inventory, and not counting duplicate bottles, I now have 73 different bottles of assorted whisk(e)y (77 if you count 4 different scotch liqueurs). One downside is that most are open as a result of my proclivity for trying just about everything as soon as I get it home. Whisk(e)y is now the largest category I have and specifically bourbon is now the second largest category I have, trailing only rum.
    Had a few friends over for a "Whiskies of the World" tasting evening. Managed to drag every whisk(e)y I had out and so thought I would post a picture. Not all of it is bourbon of course! And not the full "stash" as the few duplicate bottles I have remained safely in the basement.

On the left is the US with bourbons on the left, ryes in the middle and a few that don't fit either like Bernheim Wheat whisky and HW Campfire and Bourye (On the far left edge is the Jeff Ocean sailing up and down the Pacific coast!). Up above that is Canada of course with CR and a bottle of Forty Creek Confederation Oak holding down the fort.

Then we slide over to Wales with a bottle of Penderyn and then my meager scotch collection, to include the four scotch liqueurs at the the top right.

Coming down from that is the slightly more robust Irish section including a half dozen single pot still whiskies. Then on the far right a bottle of Yamazaki 12 represents Japan while the yellow box is the Hellyers Road 3 bottle gift pack from Australia representing the lone contribution from the southern hemisphere.

Most of these normally reside in the basement. I started with this one rack which has long since overflowed. They used to be sorted in the basket shelves in neat rows but now I cram as many bottles as I can in and now have boxes of bottles stacked on the floor until I can get around to getting a new shelf.

Only a few bottles at a time get the privilege of residing upstairs on the small wet bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 12-02-2012 at 11:44.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Here's my stash and descriptions of photos left to right. I just recently cycled through and acquired a bunch of bottles so there's a lot of old and a lot of new.

The bar: (My wife and) I like to keep things orderly. We have a small child so I don't keep anything out, although there's a bottle of Willett Pot Still hidden back there because it doesn't fit anywhere else. The only other liquor in the cabinet is a small collection of shochu. All the other liquor was moved to a cabinet in the kitchen because, well, I don't drink any of it.

Handles: I picked up all except the Prestige (Krogers in-house brand) from The Party Source during their $15, flat shipping promotion. Liquor is expensive in Washington. These bottles would have cost me 75% to 100% more in-state. I sort of look at this stuff as "session bourbon".

Basics: I'm not a big fan of any these. I basically rotate cheap bourbons and ryes. I used the white whiskey (Trybox New Make) for infusions.

Craft: The Delaware Phoenix bourbon is rather delicious (handmade in tiny batches in upstate NY by a woman named Cheryl Lins). Woodinville and Oola, each from the Seattle area, and Stein from Oregon are very good young selections.

Mid-Priced Squats: I love Johnny Drum Private Stock. I think it's very full flavored and a "fun" bourbon. I'm fans of all these squat-bottles.

Curated: I'm a big Willett fan (I think I have a thing for KBD) and I think the Hirsch is a rather underrated (I never hear much talk about it), solid bourbon that finishes nicely.

Foreigners: All given as gifts. The first one is a very interesting whiskey and the others, as you can imagine, are rather strong whiskeys. Uerige Stickum Plus Distilled Alt Bier Pinot Noir Barrel Aged Whiskey (Germany), Macallan 18-Year Old Single Malt Whisky 1982 (Scotland) and Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey 2005 (Ireland).

Randoms: I love Old Potrero Rye. This Jefferson's Presidential 18 is Batch #8 courtesy of Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, CA.

Buffalo Trace Family: The 1993 Experimental is a favorite I sadly won't likely find again. I've not been impressed by the Single Oak #120. I love BIG bourbons, hence the multiple bottles of George T. Stagg.

The Van Winkle Family: The only one from this year is the unopened 20-Year. Most are from 2004-2006. Not sure if it matters. I think the most interesting thing about these specific bottles is that they were purchased from so many different states (New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania, California, Georgia and Nevada) but not through eBay or similar methods.

Unassuming.jpgBig Guns.jpgBlah.jpgCraft.jpgSquatters.jpgCurated.jpgForeigners.jpgHigh-End.jpgBTAC.jpgPVW.jpg
    Last edited by dementedavenger; 12-08-2012 at 10:26.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dementedavenger View Post
    Foreigners: All given as gifts. The first one is a very interesting whiskey and the others, as you can imagine, are rather strong whiskeys. Uerige Stickum Plus Distilled Alt Bier Pinot Noir Barrel Aged Whiskey (Germany), Macallan 18-Year Old Single Malt Whisky 1982 (Scotland) and Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey 2005 (Ireland).

The Van Winkle Family: The only one from this year is the unopened 20-Year. Most are from 2004-2006. Not sure if it matters. I think the most interesting thing about these specific bottles is that they were purchased from so many different states (New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania, California, Georgia and Nevada) but not through eBay or similar methods.
    Foreigners.jpgPVW.jpg
    1) 1982 Macallan 18 in the old packaging!

2) Wax top PVW23 and others from 5+ years ago opened. Have you been using a wine preserve gas?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dementedavenger View Post
    I don't keep anything out

Curated: I think the Hirsch is a rather underrated (I never hear much talk about it), solid bourbon that finishes nicely.
    I don't keep anything out either it's all nicely tucked away in my converted armoire/bar. I agree about the Hirsch, I like it a lot. I just don't think it's in a lot of people's wheel house or just not "good enough" to buy being a non distiller bottling with NAS and $30+.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the FEW rye, I see it locally but at ~$50 it's a pass for me so far.