Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 53 of 137 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 3.0 (The Subliminal Verses)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    1) 1982 Macallan 18 in the old packaging!

2) Wax top PVW23 and others from 5+ years ago opened. Have you been using a wine preserve gas?
    1. My now boss (he wasn't at the time) gave me the Macallan in 2000 or 2001 as a holiday gift. I honestly don't remember what it tastes like. There are about two pours left and I suspect I may have one soon.

2. Yes, I use a wine preserve gas, though I've personally never noticed a difference and there seems to be a real divide in opinions on whether it matters.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    I don't keep anything out either it's all nicely tucked away in my converted armoire/bar. I agree about the Hirsch, I like it a lot. I just don't think it's in a lot of people's wheel house or just not "good enough" to buy being a non distiller bottling with NAS and $30+.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the FEW rye, I see it locally but at ~$50 it's a pass for me so far.
    The FEW is too sweet for me. I read a review, after the fact, that said the mashbill is 70% rye, 20% corn and 10% malted barely and I can definitely taste that corn. I've used it in cocktails a few times with good success but I don't foresee myself drinking it neat again. It's sort of become a high-cost mixing rye for me. I guess this is why people read reviews ahead of time.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    1) 1982 Macallan 18 in the old packaging!
    I opened up the Macallan this weekend and the cork broke. I sealed it back up with a cork from a just finished bottle of William Larue Weller. It was like some sort of organ transplant.

Advanced Taster

I just read post #1 of this thread: "... I'm not sure I want more whiskey around than I can drink by 12/21/2012 anyway!"

Congratulations, its been over three years. The countdown to when Christian can finally buy whiskey again!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by oke&coke View Post
    So my wife cleared all the books from this cabinet after the shelves went up and I managed to commandeer it for my stash.
    Nice Stash! How do you like the Corsair Triple Smoke? I have the Rasputin, but haven't opened it yet.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Curtisc84 View Post
    Nice Stash! How do you like the Corsair Triple Smoke? I have the Rasputin, but haven't opened it yet.
    It has been a while since I had a pour but it was not bad. If I remember it correctly the smoking and the use of new charred barrels made it quite a bit heavier then most scotches but it was not offensive since I prefer Islay scotches anyway. I applaud them for being innovative and I think they did pretty well with this one though I haven't tried their other stuff. I usually only reach for it when I want something different from the norm.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Advanced Taster

My quest to find a bottle of every Gold and Double Gold medal winner from 2011 and 2012 San Fran Spirits competition is nearly complete. Missing a Sazerac 18, Reservoir Wheat, Kilbeggan 15 year old and Midleton Barry Crockett Irish Whiskey (may never pull the trigger on this one at $240+). Going out of State tomorrow and hoping to get a Saz 18.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

Ok, here is what I have that is unopened at present. I can assure you that everything you see will be consumed, as I am not a collector but rather an opportunistic buyer.
    IMG_0924.jpgIMG_0929.jpgIMG_0931.jpgIMG_0933.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Ok, here is what I have that is unopened at present. I can assure you that everything you see will be consumed, as I am not a collector but rather an opportunistic buyer.
    IMG_0924.jpgIMG_0929.jpgIMG_0931.jpgIMG_0933.jpg
    Very, very nice. Just found a bottle of the ORVW/107 last week and can't wait to break it open.

Enthusiast

Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 3.0 (The Subliminal Verses)

ORVW 10/107 is great stuff!