Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Distillery?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barton

0 0%
  • Buffalo Trace

30 41.67%
  • Brown-Forman

3 4.17%
  • Jim Beam

4 5.56%
  • A. Smith Bowman

1 1.39%
  • Four Roses

1 1.39%
  • Heaven Hill

4 5.56%
  • Wild Turkey

24 33.33%
  • Willett's (Evan Kulsven)

0 0%
  • Maker's Mark

4 5.56%
  • George Dickle

1 1.39%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: Favorite Distilery

I voted for Wild Turkey. It was a toss-up between it and Buffalo Trace. While BT has the Stagg as well as many other fine premium and single-barrel bourbons, they also have a couple of bottom shelf brands (i.e. Ancient Age). Wild Turkey on the other hand makes no bourbon that should ever be only 6 inches from the floor. Even the 80 proof expression has merit. It goes without saying how good their premium bottling are. Just my 2 cent

Enthusiast

I voted for Buffalo Trace, and it was a toss up with Wild Turkey. My vote was probably influenced by today's arrival of The Stagg! There's no disputing the quality of Wild Turkey products: I love Wild Turkey's Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve, but I'm happy with the trend at Buffalo Trace to heed to our interests and desire to try things like The Stagg. Also involved in my vote is BT's relationship with Van Winkle's products which I've begun to enjoy very much over the last couple of months.
    Bob

**DONOTDELETE**

Solid reasoning gentlemen, and it shows in the vote tally. Wild Turkey leads by comfortable margin while Buffalo Trace is firmly in second place. All of the rest of the distilleries are tied for either third or last place. Very interesting indeed. Anyone else care to comment?

Disciple

Just to throw a wrench in the works it seems, I chose Heaven Hill. All the other choices (Wild Turkey especially, and to a lesser extent, Buffalo Trace) are great, but I really enjoy the HH mashbill. Plus I like the idea that (as far as I know) it is not owned by some huge beverage conglom. While its tough to choose, that is what put it over the top for me.

Tom (loves the Little Guy) C

Enthusiast

I think thats enough said! I was torn between those two, and Brown-Forman would be my distinct third. See ya, H'wood

Administrator in exile

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also involved in my vote is BT's relationship with Van Winkle's products which I've begun to enjoy very much

[/QUOTE]

I thought about that, but for some reason I can't equate the two. I still tend to think of the Van Winkle whiskeys as a product of the Vanwinkles, not BT. But I guess that says something about BT, to know enough about who to associate with

Administrator in exile

Tom,
    You were the one person to vote negative on the Stagg poll and now this Go with the flow man, come on...everybody's doing it

**DONOTDELETE**

Actually Tom If voteing for the little guy matter's then A. Smith Bowman should have gotten your vote or the smallest player in the bourbon market - Charles Wathen Medley. As much as I love Wathen's I just can't believe I left Charlie's distillery off the survey. Dumb. As to family owned distilleries goes the Goldring's own Buffalo Trace and the Brown's are in full control of Brown-Forman. I voted for Buffalo Trace as they are deffinately leading the way into the future of bourbon bringing out new and exciting brands at fairly reasonable prices considering the ultra-high quality of the products. The very fact that Julian would associate himself and the Van Winkle name with Buffalo Trace is not just a bottom line what's in it for me business deal. It speaks volumes to the great strides that have been made at this distillery.

Virtuoso

While BT is my favorite, HH holds a favored spot in my heart. Like you, I do like their mashbill and I love EWSB both for the flavor and the value.

Then there are the sentimental reasons. First, my grandfather always had a bottle of HH on the kitchen counter. He had a shot every night after dinner. Second, BettyeJo! Her participation here is priceless. She lets us peek into the history of the industry. She gives us a great perspective and personalizes it. We see that this is not just some yellowed history text book and old photos, but a rich, warm, family history provided by a member of the family. Fantastic.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Here's a peek into my reasoning. I voted for Jim Beam, because it is the one I see everyday. I'm getting close to home when it comes in view. The question was pick a favorite distillery, If I were to choose the best and favorite products BT would be way out front. Brown Forman is another good one. I think Heaven Hill has a great future .
    I remember reading where Booker said they'd been making Whiskey the same way for 200 years and they didn't want to mess with that. I think it's good to pay homage to the past. When I look at Jim Beam at Clermont I always think they could make the finest whiskey in the world there. They have a great physical plant, they have good water, everything is present. It just isn't happening there. They make a few good ones. Most of what they make is 4 year old , who cares if you drink it with Coke Bourbon. They have yet to create a stir like Stagg. I'd gladly eat these words the day they do something like that. I can't help but think it's already on that hill somewhere, They just need to follow those loose bungs! I've got one or 2 of each of the small batch, I'll probably never own the Distillers Masterpiece. BT will get money from me , BF will on Sept 2, HH will eventually get more especially when their new ones come on. Can't have too much Wathens.