Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Beer are you drinking? Fall 2009

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. Very nice on a coolish night, and MNF.
    Bell's is arguably my favorite microbrewery these days, certainly one of the best in the upper Midwest. I love their entire line, though I should mention that you really have to be a hop-head to enjoy their Two Hearted Ale. We drink Bell's Oberon Ale all summer long and move into their porter and stouts during the autumn/winter. Great stuff!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    I was up at Costco getting a new case of Shiner Bock, when I came across the Chimay Blue, "brewed by Trappist monks". Okay, I bit, and took home a 750 ml bottle of this Belgian ale.

I poured it at room temperature, and was very happy with it. Next time I go to Costco, I think I'll pick up a few more bottles, even though they are a bit pricey. I'll have to at least try it chilled.
    Chimay has long been regarded as one of the great Trappist Ales but you may wish to chill it, as you mentioned. Chimay Red is a regular in our house, with the Chimay Blue coming out for special occasions. Try some Corsendonk too if you haven't already. Mighty fine, mighty fine.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    We drink Bell's Oberon Ale all summer long ... Great stuff!

I have to agree that Bellís is some fine brews, and I too love the Oberon Ale, however, the last six pack of Oberon I got this year must have had a rough life before it got to me, it was in rough shape, tasted like it had made the trip in a pizza oven then was flash chilled in liquid nitrogen, before they warmed it back up with a propane torch. Never the less I canít wait till it is in season again. This is the good/bad part about seasonal beers, its like waiting for sweet corn the excitement is the good part, and the wait is the bad.

Enthusiast

I worked as a steward at GABF this last week. So I had a chance to try....everything. Mind blowing, esp getting a chance to try pub-only beers that had been bottled the 1x for the competition. Sneak peaks at beers yet to be released and a massive amount of...beer.

So much fun, I hope I can do it again next year!
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: What Beer are you drinking? Fall 2009

Oh heck, it's close enough to 5:00 this Friday, that I'm calling it a week. First out of the box is a devastatingly delicious New Holland Dragon's Milk Ale Aged in Oak Barrels. Creamy, thick, sweet, and potent at 8.5%. Very malty with an old timey Ovaltine tinge to it. The oak lightly gives definition, and ties the whole thing together. (I have no idea what that sentence means, but it's a close as I could come to describe what I'm thinkin'. Plus, I thought it sounded good.) The finish is just perfect, as it tones down the sweetness that sometimes just lingers too much in Ales such as this. This is a beautiful beer.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Thumbs up Re: What Beer are you drinking? Fall 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    I worked as a steward at GABF this last week. So I had a chance to try....everything. Mind blowing, esp getting a chance to try pub-only beers that had been bottled the 1x for the competition. Sneak peaks at beers yet to be released and a massive amount of...beer.

So much fun, I hope I can do it again next year!
    What were the standouts for you?

Did you get a chance to try The Bruery's Black Tuesday? Impressions? The only other super-high ABV beer from them I've tried was Melange #3 - quite tasty if not particularly well balanced/integrated.

I'm looking forward to picking up at least a couple of extra bottles come release day (good trade bait for LA Cable Car, Darkness, Kate the Great, Barrel-Aged Alesmith, Allagash Gargamel, etc).

Enthusiast

Run through the beer frig. Karmeliet triple, Spatan Octoberfest, Spatan Dunkel, New Glarus Bock, Zotler Bier Korbian Dunkel, Specker Imperial Russian Stout, Spaten Optimator, Sam Adams Octoberfest, Pauliner Salvator, Kostriker Octoberfest, Dupont Moinette Bruin, Lagunita little sumpin extra, Weihenstephaner Korbian Dunkel, Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest, Meantime Porter and IPA, Guiness. And for the masses that might stop by Bud light and Miller Lite. The Moinett Bruin is going to be my Monday Night Football Beier - Go Pack!
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

A little football, and leftovers from last nights Oktoberfest Party. Washing it all down with Franziskaner Weissbier, Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen, and Kulmbacher Monchshof Schwarz. As Wayne Newton might say, "Danke Schoen".
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Three Floyds Behemoth barleywine, Left Hand Oktoberfest, and Steelhead Extra Stout (gets a 94 on ratebeer, and I was very disappointed. I guess because my Extra Stout is better )

Advanced Taster

Got a couple different brews in the fridge...Spaten Oktoberfest, Guinness 250, PBR!, and the always in-stock Samuel Adams Boston Lager.