Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Beer are you drinking? Fall 2009

Quote Originally Posted by augustgarage View Post
    What were the standouts for you?

Did you get a chance to try The Bruery's Black Tuesday? Impressions? The only other super-high ABV beer from them I've tried was Melange #3 - quite tasty if not particularly well balanced/integrated.

I'm looking forward to picking up at least a couple of extra bottles come release day (good trade bait for LA Cable Car, Darkness, Kate the Great, Barrel-Aged Alesmith, Allagash Gargamel, etc).
    BT was awesome. In reading Patrick's post, they left it in the barrels until it was bottled today. He says it even tastes better now. I'll be driving up on the 27th for the release. Melange #3 is also outstanding and will likewise be bottled for a future release.

I honestly had so much beer that I can't recall everything. One buddy tried to write everything down w/ notes, but there's simply too much going on. Abacus from Firestone Walker is likewise a great beer, totally dug it.

Was talking to Peter from Alesmith, not sure when they're going to do their next BA release. From what a worker told me after they did their brewery expansion they had to bottle all the big beers to get them to their accounts and thus don't have a lot in the barrel right now. Bummer! I do believe the next release will be a BA Wee Heavy.

I'm picking up 4 BT's. 2 are paid for, so I'll owe 2 there, plus probably 2 bottles ea of BA Autumn Maple and White Oak. Plus they'll have plenty of good beer on tap. I'll be there around 4pm.
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Advanced Taster

GABF sounds like a great time...

As for The Bruery, I'll probably be there around 4:30 (I know Patrick doesn't want people lining up before then) - looking forward to trying BT on cask (I think they gave it some unfortunate name like "Chocolate Rain" though ) and picking up some Papier and BA Autumn Maple.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey Willie View Post
    Got a couple different brews in the fridge...Spaten Oktoberfest, Guinness 250, PBR!, and the always in-stock Samuel Adams Boston Lager.

Also had a Spaten Oktoberfest along with a Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest and a Sprecher Black Bavarian. Also the Belgian Moinette Strong Ale was excellant on Monday night even though the Pack lost.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by augustgarage View Post
    GABF sounds like a great time...

As for The Bruery, I'll probably be there around 4:30 (I know Patrick doesn't want people lining up before then) - looking forward to trying BT on cask (I think they gave it some unfortunate name like "Chocolate Rain" though ) and picking up some Papier and BA Autumn Maple.
    Cool, then I'll see you then. I'm leaving work at 3pm from downtown SD, picking up 3 guys and we ought to be there a tad after 4pm. A bit early but we'll just go with the flow. I'll be a big tall guy w/ a beard and a brown cap on that says "QUAFF" my homebrew club. Def come over and say hi.

I want the BT, BA Autumn Maple and I have no idea what White Oak is, but i'm curious. Plus all the delicious beers on tap...hell, I'll probably get tehre and eat something before the event starts.
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Guru

I just picked up a 6-pack of Michelob Original Lager. I noticed the labeling looked a little different from what I remember from just a short while back, so I examined it, carefully. It no longer says "All Malt Recipe", so I am wondering if they have changed it, again?

It is still mighty tasty, though.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

Boulevard Pilsner, Boulevard Single Wide (IPA) and Spaten Optimator in the fridge right now. Yay Beer!
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Enthusiast

I went to the store for Chimay Blue Strong Ale. And ended up buying 2 6packs and large bottle. The first pack was a Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre at 8% ABV because some guy was handing out samples at the store and it was made of beet sugar and Raisons. The next was a New Belgian Tripple. This is had a nice frothy head and was very tasty. Half the six back was gone in flash and I felt it! I recommed this beer if you can get it. The last was another New Beligian Wit. I have not had this one yet but am looking forward to it. Another one that I would suggest is Lavalin little sumthin extra.
    Last edited by HipFlask; 10-18-2009 at 00:40.

Guru

Schlitz.
    Yesterday at Binny's I got a 12 pack of the new (old) Schlitz "The Classic 1960's Formula".
    Schlitz changed their beer somewhere around the mid '70's and it was so bad that I thought that I didn't like beer anymore, I didn't know at the time their was such a thing as changing recipes.
    So it's been 35 years and as far as my taste memory goes I'd have to say that they got it right.
    I don't know who brews it for them because there is no Schlitz Brewery, only a Schlitz seller and marketer.
    On the label it says,
    Jos Schlitz Brewing Co
    P. O. Box 739
    Milwaukee, WI
    See they pick up their mail at the Post Office.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Schlitz.

I don't know who brews it for them because there is no Schlitz Brewery, only a Schlitz seller and marketer.
    "Them" is Pabst (which bought the Schlitz brand when former owner, Stroh, collapsed in the late 1990's and Pabst bought most of their vast collection of classic brand names - including most of the old Heileman stable, as well).

Like most of the Pabst-owned brands, the beer is brewed by Miller. The first batches of the new/old Schiltz (called "Schlitz Gusto" sometimes, to distinguish it from the economy, canned Schlitz which is still on the shelves in some markets) came from Eden, NC but now, after some renovations to the Miller brewery, the brand's "returned" to Milwaukee.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jesskidden View Post
    "Them" is Pabst (which bought the Schlitz brand when former owner, Stroh, collapsed in the late 1990's and Pabst bought most of their vast collection of classic brand names - including most of the old Heileman stable, as well).

Like most of the Pabst-owned brands, the beer is brewed by Miller. The first batches of the new/old Schiltz (called "Schlitz Gusto" sometimes, to distinguish it from the economy, canned Schlitz which is still on the shelves in some markets) came from Eden, NC but now, after some renovations to the Miller brewery, the brand's "returned" to Milwaukee.
    Pabst has also returned Ballantine and Schaefer, two East coast beers, to the market, though, sadly, neither is available to me here in Chicago. I pick up cases when I return to New York every year and drink them when any of my New York sports teams are on television. I guess I'm turning into my old man, who drank them regularly, along with Rheingold, Utica Club and Genesee.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet