Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please allow me to introduce myself...

I'm a man of wealth, and taste,
    I drink a lot of bourbon,
    which is why I've come to this place.

Hi everybody, I'm Dave, and it's my first time here. I'm really glad to find this site. Actually, I found the site long ago, but didn't realize that it (or maybe it didn't have then) had a forum. Great to find other bourbonists!

I'll start off with what I have in my liquor cabinet now:

Hirsch Selection Sm. Batch - Just got it recently; it's good.

Four Roses Sm. Batch - Good; bit fruity. Only had 4R in Europe before.

Old Grand-dad 114 - Venerable resident, not drunk often because of high proof. Very good whiskey.

Sazerac Rye 18 Y0 - Great stuff, bottle almost empty. (:

Sazerac Rye No Age - Also good.

RI-One - Shiite. (And the *name*...)

Jack Daniiels Sing Bar - Languisher.

Gentleman Jack - Serious languisher.

William Larue Weller - Only wheated I have currently. I thought Booker's was a grizzly, but this makes it seem Gentle Ben.

Georgia Moon in a jar - Mostly evaporated I fear.

Not enough stuff, really!

On the Dark Side, I've got Dalmore Cigar Malt, a few tequilas inc. Herradura, some brandies, a grappa, some rhum agricole, and the Scary Bastard of the Liquor Cabinet, an almost full bottle of Lucid Absinthe, sitting there like a bar of plutonium. (Why oh why did I buy that stuff?).

Up "in the attic", in the shelves above, I've got the Museum of Empty Bottles of Whiskies Past, with all kinds of stuff - Black Maple Hill, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock's Reserve, A.H. Hirsch 16 & 20 YO, WT 12 YO, WT SB, WT RB, WT Rye, WT 101, Old Fitz, Bookers, Evan Williams Vintage, Old Forester Birthday, Old Portrero Malted Rye, the HH Wheat whiskey, on and on and on.

Well, that' s my story. Looking forward to hearing about other people's "collections", past and present. (Bearing in mind "collected" means "in order to drink it eventually".

Disciple

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...

Sipping on an OGD 114 as I read this. The Lucid is to help you make an authentic Sazerac cocktail (with the no-age baby Saz, natch...)

Welcome to the forums.

PS. Not the Dave of HP/Apple/InFocus fame/infamy?
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Guru

Dave,

Welcome to SB. I enjoyed your Rolling Stones reference. If you look at another thread you'll see other reference to the devil (temperance).

I see you arrive here with a great background.

Will

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stallard View Post
    ... and the Scary Bastard of the Liquor Cabinet, an almost full bottle of Lucid Absinthe, sitting there like a bar of plutonium. (Why oh why did I buy that stuff?).
    LOL. Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard Dave. Looks like you've got a pretty good collection going so far. You might want to give some of the other Wellers a try. The Weller SR, OWA 107 and Weller 12 are all good bourbons. I would also like to suggest to you to give one of the Van Winkle bourbons a try. All are good, but I personally prefer the Lot B or Pappy 20. Hope you enjoy it here at SB.com. This is a great site with great people. The gazebo is our chat room. Official chats are Thursday and Sunday nights, but people stop in to chat at other times too. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Welcome Dave! Hope you enjoy your time about the forums. Plenty of good info and good people on the site.

PR&C forum is best for those with thick skins or flame retardant suits

Enquiring minds want to know (well, okay, maybe just me!): You don't happen to be related to Tracy Stallard, the purveyor of the pitch that became Roger Maris' 61st homer in 1961, huh? (Maybe this is 'off topic', but there you are...)
    Just thought I'd ask. No man was more due a good bourbon bracer than Tracy Stallard. Although, re Maris, he did say: "I'm glad he did it off me. Otherwise, I would never have been thought of again. That was about all I did, and I've had a good time with it."
    I kinda know how he felt. I'm a guy who's served Chuck Cowdery a couple of "Wow!" bourbons. That's about all I've done.
    (I need a good bourbon bracer!)

Anyone who starts their intro quoting that tune gets my attention. I've loved that song since I first heard it, I think I was 10. And didn't really know the name of Sympathy for the Devil until Axl Rose mutilated it many years later. OK, maybe he didn't mutilate it, but that was one of those songs that never really needed to be covered. Definitely not by Jane's Addiction nor anybody else. Interestingly enough one of the other songs I put into that category was also a Stones song; Paint it Black.

Anyway, I digress. Welcome to the site, you've obviously drank some of the finest stuff put in bottle.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Enquiring minds want to know (well, okay, maybe just me!): You don't happen to be related to Tracy Stallard, the purveyor of the pitch that became Roger Maris' 61st homer in 1961, huh? (Maybe this is 'off topic', but there you are...)

(I need a good bourbon bracer!)
    Thanks for the great welcome, everybody! I've obviously come to the right place.

I'm not related to Tracy. That's funny you mention that because my first day of high school (long ago!), a gym teacher who later became a scout for the Red Sox saw my name and asked me the same thing.

I'm aware of the other Dave Stallard, because a friend emailed me a link joking "Didn't know you worked for Apple". Not related to him either to my knowledge, though my grandfather Stallard was one of 7 sons, and ran off the family farm, so I surely have a sh*tload of Stallard second cousins of whom I know nothing, and perhaps he is one.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Welcome aboard Dave. Looks like you've got a pretty good collection going so far. You might want to give some of the other Wellers a try. The Weller SR, OWA 107 and Weller 12 are all good bourbons. I would also like to suggest to you to give one of the Van Winkle bourbons a try. All are good, but I personally prefer the Lot B or Pappy 20
    Thanks, Joe. The Weller SR and OWA 107, I've had. Was the Weller 12 that Bourbon Heritage Series bottling that came in the squarish bottle with the marvelous hand-grip indentations on the sides? I loved how it felt to hold that thing.

I like the Lot B too. I've had the Pappy 20 (a bit dry and woody, but hey it's a 20 YO!) and the Pappy 15 YO. Great stuff. I've not had the Pappy 23 YO; I bet that one's out of sight pricewise and woodiness-wise too..

Dave