Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Arrow In half an hour I will buy one of these; suggestions?

I'm in the mood to blow a few dollars on a new drink. There are two candidates.

First is Parkers Heritage Collection 2007 128.4pf
    Second is Jefferson Reserve Presidential Select batch 2.

The store that has the JRPS has two bottles so I could probably score one next week. The Parkers is the only one available. Which is better to your palate, which should I buy?

Leaving when this show is over.

Virtuoso

Re: In half an hour I will buy one of these; suggestions?

The Parkers is big and bold you almost "chew" it --- to my palate the Jefferson's is tasty and a long sweet finish, I would almost call it delicate.

Both Good and really different.

does that help?

Enthusiast

Parkers it is! I absolutely love the SW juice and plan to add it to my collection in the near future. However, the odds of finding another JRPS are better than the odds of finding another Parkers. Hopefully one of those JRPS will be around next week because I just can't justify buying both in one day Feels wasteful!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree about the Jefferson's, I had some Batch 1 recently and thought it superb, very S-W in character, long and sweetish with a honeyed complexity. An excellent value and fine example of well-aged wheater bourbon.

Gary

Well, I'm too late, I guess -- but I would have purchased 6-8 1.75L bottles of Evan Williams green-label for the same money, and been happy as a clam mixing it with store-brand diet ginger ale for several weeks!
    ( Then I would drink the 2007 Parker's Heritage Reserve and other S-W products on my shelf at a later date.)

Enthusiast

I would have to pass on the EWG but have found a source of Weller 12 for $15 which competes for daily status with OWA at around $20. These days, I'm trying to fill the shelves with booze that's not likely to be available in a few years.

Something tells me that the end of the SW bottlings will be inaccessible in five years. If I could, I'd dump my 401k and invest it all in SW bourbon and a bunker with a lock I couldn't open

I tend to agree with Tim in the sense that I get as much (more in some cases) satisfaction from bourbon that costs far less but some of these specialties fill a nook none of the others do. That Jefferson's would be an ideal after-dinner bourbon after a special meal, for example.

Gary

Guru

IMO, the Parker's is simply a much better whiskey. The Jefferson's is not bad (in fact it is very good) but doesn't hold a candle to the PHC.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    IMO, the Parker's is simply a much better whiskey. The Jefferson's is not bad (in fact it is very good) but doesn't hold a candle to the PHC.
    I have not tried my Jeff Prez yet but the Parker's '07 is just killer, I recentley got another of the 122.6 proof via a so so so to kind SB.com member, I am indebted to ya Tommy.
    ovh

They are different prices as well I think, I cannot recall the margin by which one is more than the other, but this is relevant for some in deciding which to buy. I haven't had the HH one as yet, but theoretically anyway it should be better if as I believe it is more than the other.

Gary