Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Secret Santa and a Father-In-Law??

Well as a friend, I've been tasked with a small project for a buddies wife. He is a bourbon drinker with a few bottles at home being WT 101 and Makers, his regular go to bottles. He still uses quite a bit of ice and says WT 101 still has a kick with ice in it.
    On to the title, his Father in Law has his name for Christmas this year and has no idea what to get him. I spoke to his wife who informed me the gift limit is $75, which I thought was great , I thought it might be nice to get him a bottle of the BTAC and a tasting glass or Doc said a bottle of Pappy 15 and a glass. While out looking around today and talking to Ox, we thought maybe a mid-shelf sampler and a glass??? Now I'm as confused as his father in law.

So help me out guys!! If you were buying bourbon for a buddy had $75 to spend what would you do? Or what would you buy?

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Re: Secret Santa and a Father-In-Law??

Seing as he likes WT101, how about a bottle WTKS and a nice tasting glass or two?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Well as a friend, I've been tasked with a small project for a buddies wife. He is a bourbon drinker with a few bottles at home being WT 101 and Makers, his regular go to bottles. He still uses quite a bit of ice and says WT 101 still has a kick with ice in it.
    On to the title, his Father in Law has his name for Christmas this year and has no idea what to get him. I spoke to his wife who informed me the gift limit is $75, which I thought was great , I thought it might be nice to get him a bottle of the BTAC and a tasting glass or Doc said a bottle of Pappy 15 and a glass. While out looking around today and talking to Ox, we thought maybe a mid-shelf sampler and a glass??? Now I'm as confused as his father in law.

So help me out guys!! If you were buying bourbon for a buddy had $75 to spend what would you do? Or what would you buy?

Tony
    If he is a WT guy, WTKS (dark wood top era) and a glencairn. Its in he taste profile, but dusts the current 101

Enthusiast

I would buy Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr and a Van Winkle Glencairn Glass. Then I would try to get him to taste the bourbon with 1 ice cube as is the policy of the famous bourbon taster - Randy Blank.

Advanced Taster

Stagg................................

How 'bout Lot B and a glass, or if you want to spend the whole $75 maybe the ER17 from the BTAC. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

I agree that if he's a MM fan, he would really like a first class BT wheater -- LOT 'B' is a great one, I think, especially following an MM -- that progression won't fail to make an impression on him . . .
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Seing as he likes WT101, how about a bottle WTKS and a nice tasting glass or two?
    What he said.......
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

How about buying some lower price offerings and putting on a tasting for him and a couple buddies? I think your expertise and coaching will bring years of bourbon enjoyment while opening the door to some affordable bourbons he can add to his rotation.
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by GOCOUGS2002 View Post
    How about buying some lower price offerings and putting on a tasting for him and a couple buddies? I think your expertise and coaching will bring years of bourbon enjoyment while opening the door to some affordable bourbons he can add to his rotation.
    I like this idea if you (Tony) will be the guide on the bourbon tour. My guides in Kentucky have helped me immensely in learning to appreciate the different nuances of bourbon. After sharing many drams with you at the gazebo, I know you to be an excellent tour guide. Further I think your friend would appreciate having a 6 pack or maybe 8 pack of bourbons to sample. I'm sure you could help his Father in Law make excellent purchases of mid and bottom shelf bourbons.

P.S. I have your 2 bottles of FR ordered. I'll pick them up and bring them to the sampler.