Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What you can't get in your area

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Good God... how does anyone from a control state even gain an interest in good bourbon? It would be like being fed Purina monkey chow your whole life....you wouldn't know what real food tastes like.
    It's tough but by control state standards Michigan isn't too bad. We have all the Van Winkles, OWA 107, EWSB, the BTAC, The Beam small batch collection, Rare Breed and WTKS, VOB 90, a lot of the limited releases and fairly reasonable state minimums. What pisses me off the most is Four Roses. But I don't know if I'm more annoyed by the state of Michigan or by the late Seagram's corporation. Probably both.

Most of my family is still in a non-control state so I get plenty of opportunities to shop in another state, and the last few years I've been in Kentucky at least 2-3 times a year so that's usually enough to stock up for a few months.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

All of the above and more! Living on this side of the globe is not so good price/freight wise if you're a keen bourbonite and you want variance from what is on standard offer... Kentucky is so far away...

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Guru

I'd like to get my hands on JTS Brown BIB and Tom Moore BIB. Nothing fancy, just good cheap bourbon.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Besides the (primarily) Kentucky only releases (VOB BIB, AAA 10yr) and some of the limited one-offs, we have a pretty good selection in Georgia. BTAC, though limited, even hit (legally, that is) the retailers last year. The only two that I buy regularly out of state, because they are not available here, are Buffalo Trace, Weller 12, and Elmer T Lee. And, I don't believe we get any of the other Barton BIB's.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'd like to get my hands on JTS Brown BIB and Tom Moore BIB.
    Seconded. Also WT 8YO and 12YO, both of which have several outlets online in the New Jersey area but nothing sold in Chicagoland stores.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    The only two that I buy regularly out of state, because they are not available here, are Buffalo Trace, Weller 12, and Elmer T Lee.
    I understand about the Weller 12 we don't get it in MI either.
    The ETL is kinda odd that GA doesn't have that but no BT?
    That seems very strange with Sazerac/BT's market muscle.
    ovh

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I understand about the Weller 12 we don't get it in MI either.
    The ETL is kinda odd that GA doesn't have that but no BT?
    That seems very strange with Sazerac/BT's market muscle.
    I asked Ken Weber the same thing a couple of years ago, Oscar. At that time, it was a mixture of not enough stock to go around, but primarily a problem with their distributor in Georgia. Something to the effect that once a distillery picks a distributor in Georgia, you're pretty much married for life. And, you can't get out of it unless the distributor wants to let you go, and they hardly ever do that. If there's a problem, they just ignore promotion and reduce placement of the brand at the retailer. It seems that in Georgia, the distributor appears to carry a lot of clout in the 3-tiered system. Ken said that Sazerac/BT was unwilling to enter into such an arrangement with the Flagship brand at that time, and maybe still is. Sooooo, I go to Tennessee.

Rereading my post, I have just confirmed that my math skills do indeed suck. As I listed at least 4 bourbons as the only 2 that I can't get in state.

JOSH!!!!!! See what I mean about that math stuff???!!!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

I wish I could find some of the bottom shelf BIB's like JTS Brown or Heaven Hill 6 year or EW. Those were the bottles I picked up while in KY.
    While there are a few places to find the Wellers, there aren't any dusty Wellers around the Chicago area.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    I wish I could find some of the bottom shelf BIB's like JTS Brown or Heaven Hill 6 year or EW. Those were the bottles I picked up while in KY.
    While there are a few places to find the Wellers, there aren't any dusty Wellers around the Chicago area.
    If anyone would know if would be you...I think you have been to every liquor store in a 100 mile radious of your house!

Advanced Taster

In NJ:
    Weller 7 or 12, VOF, JTS Brown BIB, VOB (any), TW Samuels, HH 6yr, HH 6yr BIB, AAA 10 y/o, some of the KBDs

Can generally get the special bottlings (BTAC / Van Winkles / Parkers / et al), just tougher to find.