Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Newbie Intro and tasting question

I was always an Evan Williams green and ginger ale drinker until a recent trip on the bourbon trail. I brought home several single barrel and small batch bourbons and have really enjoyed getting to know these drinks.

My favorites so far are Four Roses single barrel and Old Rip van Winkle. Jefferson Reserve is also in the running. While on the tour, I picked up a bottle of Makers. I have had Makers before, mixed with ginger ale, but tried this bottle with just a bit of water. It has a very unpleasant finish that I can only describe as moldy hay. Is this finish typical of this bourbon, or do I per chance have a bad bottle? I know this is a popular bourbon, but it is my least favorite of all of the bourbons that I have tasted so far.

Connoisseur

Re: Newbie Intro and tasting question

Quote Originally Posted by joelh View Post
    While on the tour, I picked up a bottle of Makers. I have had Makers before, mixed with ginger ale, but tried this bottle with just a bit of water. It has a very unpleasant finish that I can only describe as moldy hay. Is this finish typical of this bourbon, or do I per chance have a bad bottle? I know this is a popular bourbon, but it is my least favorite of all of the bourbons that I have tasted so far.
    Welcome to the group!

I'm sipping some Maker's right now, but don't get the moldy hay finish. Maybe a teeny, tiny bit of new-mown grass, but I've never really had a long enugh finish with Maker's to really tell.

Like you, Maker's is my least favorite, but mostly because it seems to have less body than the bourbons I like better.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request