Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anised Drinks

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Anised Drinks

I don't know an anise seed from a hayseed, but I do really enjoy Romana Sambuca. 3 beans only, Vasili.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Joe, Sambucca is very licorice-tasting, so if you like that drink you likely would enjoy these other examples being discussed. Scott, absinthe can be a good drink. I use it occasionally in whiskey cocktails and just occasionally will drink it with water and ice on its own, usually in summer. Historically, not all of it was anised, or some less than others. I haven't had the one you mention but it sounds maybe like ones I know from Spain and Portugal which are more minty/herbal than liquorice-tasting. It's fun to try an absinthe of occasion, it is a historical drink laden with mystery and a certain mystique. There are lots of good online resources on it.

Gary

Tonight I pulled out a few of my araks and had small sips of each. They are similar but subtly different.

Elite Arak is the sole Israeli example. It is 80 proof and while anise is clearly present , it has a vegetal-like taste as well, maybe of celery. A nice dry drink, not too strong, good for neat sipping. I think a slice of lemon might be good with this.

Arak Fakra, a Lebanon product, is one of my favourites, and it is not available in Toronto at the moment but I found a half-bottle in Montreal last week. It has that inimitable extra taste from the earthenware jars it is aged in (per the label). Very nice, but at 55% ABV care is needed for neat sipping.

Arak el Khazen, another Lebanon arak, a gift from Stu, is rich and rounded with a slight sweetness. A full anise taste but very clean. 50% ABV.

A nice little survey, all good but different one from the other.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I drank ouzo constantly when I was in Greece in 1995, but the bottle I bought upon my return is still in my cabinet. I like it fine, but here I have lots of bourbon to drink.

Ouzo is less sweet than many of the other anise-flavored drinks. Over there, it was always served with water, about half-and-half.

Chuck, I understand, in fact in the past I found I could not drink an anise-based drink, but about a year ago I got the taste for it and I really like them. They are actually very good neat but you have to have not too much, with a water back.

Absinthe tasting coming up soon.

After that (French) pastis and equivalent.

Gary

Enthusiast

I used to drink ouzo and coke when i was in my teens - the effect it takes on when you mix it with anything is very cool. I guess it was alcoholic and i was amused by simple things - still am really...

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.