Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

WSR - new bottle in Houston

Yesterday, I saw some of the new bottles of Weller Special Reserve on store shelves here in Houston. It does still say that it's aged 7 years, but I forgot to look and see if the proof was still 90.

What I don't understand is why they would still put the age statement on the bottles of Special Reserve, yet remove it from the Antique. Someone said in another thread that it may have something to do with space limitations on the new label....HORSE HOCKEY!

If it really is true that they've removed the age staement from the Antique, then I'm really bummed at what appears to be a grim future for it. It is one of my favorite bourbons of all time, please bring back the 7 year age statement.

Guru

Re: WSR - new bottle in Houston

Scott aka callmeox talked to a BT guy in KY last month and he swears that the OWA is still 7 years old.
    You would think they could have at least found room on the label somewhere to list it even if it was in fine print.
    As sensative as these companies are about image and then omit the age statement leaves me skeptical about it's age.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Even it is still 7 yrs old now, it won't be forever. That is why they removed the age statement now. That why when it does go below the 7 tr line, they wont have to get another label approved.

Believe it or not, someday soon , the weller antique will not be 7 yrs old !!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

Well that sucks. I don't buy the watered down Special reserve and it gets to retain the seven year age statement but Antique gets, eventually, younger.

Weller Antique is a wonderful go to pour and it will be dumbed down like so many before it. This is quite upsetting.

What is BT thinking. I'd rather pay more to keep it as is. Am I in the minority?

Somehow I missed Chuck's blog on this..

FUCK....................I'm headed to town with my checkbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 10-08-2009 at 15:40.

Guru

I see that someone at eBay already has an old label OWA 107 listed.
    Bidding starts at $39.99.
    I may have to stop and get a couple tomorrow, there are still a lot around.
    ovh

Enthusiast

I saw the new WSR bottle here the other day. At least they kept the age statement on it.

I bunkered a couple liters and a couple 750's of the old label OWA. I think this weekend I am going to pick up a new bottle and give it a try. I have seen several posts saying that it is actually better than the most recent OWA.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Enthusiast

Yep, it looks like it's time for an all-out assault on the remaining AS inventory. There's a lot of it around here right now.

(Some of us 'old fogies' don't post as often as we used to. The use of vulgar language --at least in my instance, and I believe in some others' -- and moderation that allows it, is part of that reason.)

You'll remember that Evan Williams Black continued, we were assured, as a 7yo after the age statement disappeared. But, it didn't take long until HH acknowledged that it now is "substantially" 7 years old. In other words, some of it is younger.
    Probably going to be true with the OWA soon, too. As for the Special Reserve -- well, it doesn't take as many barrels of 7yo whiskey to fill 90-proof bottles as it does the same number of 107-proof bottles. But, in a few years, I suspect the same will be true for it, as well. (Unless bourbon sales fall. Kinda odd to hope for that, huh?)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    I have seen several posts saying that it is actually better than the most recent OWA.
    I could buy that.

I picked up 6 more bottles (old label) earlier tonignt and after reading this I've held the newer bottles, those I bought tonight and a couple I bought from the same store in the last couple weeks, and compaired them with older bottles in my stash some of which are old enough they came with the red bags, but none are the gold veined SW whiskey, and one of which is oppen, the newer bottles seemed lighter in color, just a little bit, but that could be just the force of suggestion.

What a sad state of affairs. I dearly love OWA.

OH, and I apologize for using the F-word up thread. I try not to do that outside of the OT threads.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 10-08-2009 at 20:27.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I could buy that.

I picked up 6 more bottles (old label) earlier tonignt and after reading this I've held the newer bottles, those I bought tonight and a couple I bought from the same store in the last couple weeks, and compaired them with older bottles in my stash some of which are old enough they came with the red bags, but none are the gold veined SW whiskey, and one of which is oppen, the newer bottles seemed lighter in color, just a little bit, but that could be just the force of suggestion.

What a sad state of affairs. I dearly love OWA.
    It doesn't have to be a gold-veined bottle to be SW whiskey. I think any bottle with a Louisville label and from 1999 or earlier should be SW whiskey. In fact, I think most all of the Louisville bottlings are from 1999 and earlier.

Yes indeed, it is a very sad state of affairs with the removal of the 7 year age statement and inevitable younger whiskey that we are destined to be getting. Why remove the age statement if there are no plans for bottling younger whiskey? We'd be foolish to believe otherwise.