Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Hello, New guy from michigan

Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare 10 yr Single Barrel, any Van Winkle but that would exceed the $50 unless you can get them to bring you an Old Rip 10/90 or a 10/107. Maybe Old Grand Dad 114, Weller Special Reserve, Old Weller Antique and maybe a bottle of Sazerac Rye. That would be were I would start if I had to get stuff that is available anywhere. Oh and a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 year old as well. If you get into higher proof try Wild Turkey Rare Breed and always go back to the big WT 101.

Hope that helps

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Enthusiast

Good list, Tony. You're going to scare this guy off!

I would recommend two bottles to start: Elijah Craig 12 Year Old (MI Code 85136) and Weller Special Reserve (MI Code 92876). I could be happy with just these two bottles. Of course, I want to be MORE than just happy, so I buy lots of other stuff, too. :-)
    Give the liquor store guys the code, not just the name, or you will likely get the wrong thing (EC has an 18YO version that novices don't usually like and Weller has several other expressions that aren't as approachable). Each bottle is around 20 bucks.

The first is a good example of a well-aged rye-recipe and the second is a great example of a middle-aged, light wheat-recipe. You'll love both, I'm sure.

So, my suggestion, print this message and take it with you to the store:

Elijah Craig 12 Year Old (MI Code 85136)
    Weller Special Reserve (MI Code 92876)

All of my reserach is from here:
    http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/lcc_code/sr_lcc.asp
    Last edited by Dr. François; 10-13-2009 at 06:44.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

isn't the makers mark a good whiskey? ive read a lot of great reviews on here and it sounds like its the best one i bought for drinking straight

The Markers Mark and the Knob Creek were fine from there it went down hill. Do some research on here, you got the boys (and girl I didn't forget you Amy) from Michigan to take you under their wing. They'll have you right on track in no time. You never can go wrong with WT 101 but leave the 80 on the shelf. It's not bourbon but give the WT 101 Rye a shot the first word out of your mouth will be WOW I promise.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thunderhead View Post
    isn't the makers mark a good whiskey? ive read a lot of great reviews on here and it sounds like its the best one i bought for drinking straight
    Maker's is better than good, it's very good, if not excellent. There are a number of reasons that Maker's takes the brunt of disdain on these boards. Some of it may be merited. Most of it however, IMO, is a very large dose of green Kool-Aid from "those that profess they really know".
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Maker's is better than good, it's very good, if not excellent. There are a number of reasons that Maker's takes the brunt of disdain on these boards. Some of it may be merited. Most of it however, IMO, is a very large dose of green Kool-Aid from "those that profess they really know".
    can you explain what you mean?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thunderhead View Post
    can you explain what you mean?
    Sure, Thunder. Maker's Mark is probably the most identifiable brand in Bourbonia. It's also promoted by Maker's, and generally accepted by the general bourbon drinking population (GBDP) as a premium/super-premium brand. As an enthusiast, we tend to discredit what the GBDP considers "Premium". I mean , if Joe Blow thinks it's premium, then what the heck do I bring to the party? And, the first and easiest way to get some "street cred" on the bourbon site is to dismiss Maker's as not a premium brand, if not outright calling it "bad". So, it's "poo-poo'd" for any number of reasons. Some real, most created. Some say it's over-marketed. (Don't get it. A couple of billboards, magazine ad placements and loyalty club is not oversaturation to me.) Some say it's too expensive for "what it is". (What, low $20ish, depending on where you live?) Some don't like the yarn that Bill Samuels has spun about the creation of the brand, and the whole "bread" thing. (Read any number of bourbon labels, and tell me about yarns.) Some think it's not as good as it used to be. (This one kills me. When people who just started drinking bourbon 3 years ago, opine about the "degradation" of MM, I just roll my eyes. There is a small handful of long-term members on this board, who if they say they thought it was better years ago, then I'll take their word for it. But, there aren't many of those folks.) All of these negatives bounce around the "echo chamber" so much, it becomes very difficult for the new member to separate the wheat from the chaff. (Get it? Wheat...chaff..Huh? Get it? )It soon becomes "the in thing" to diss Maker's, too. I cry FOUL!

I'm not saying it's the world's greatest bourbon. But, I do think it is very, very good. Great nose, flavorful and smooth, and finishes nicely. Extremely consistent. And, the packaging is very nice. Yes, I'm shallow At the end of the day, if you like it, fine. If you don't, fine too. But, make it your own decision, and not based on what the jaded bourbintellagista expects.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

LOL i get everything you said but that bread and yarns

Guru

The MM dogging may seem like the popular thing to do but I am not into trends.
    MM has a taste that reminds me of Bud Light advertising, which is "The New Look Of Drinkability"
    Drinkability?
    Sounds like it's for people who don't want to taste their bourbon or beer but want to get drunk.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    The MM dogging may seem like the popular thing to do but I am not into trends.
    MM has a taste that reminds me of Bud Light advertising, which is "The New Look Of Drinkability"
    Drinkability?
    Sounds like it's for people who don't want to taste their bourbon or beer but want to get drunk.
    so you don't like makers mark?