Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charter 101

0 0%
  • Old Ezra 101

0 0%
  • Old Williamsburg 101

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Best of these 101-proofers?

All are available in my area, in the $15-20 range. Excuse me if I have overlooked, but I don't see much discussion of these here. Which is the one to grab, if you are grabbing only one? Comments appreciated, even if you have only had one or two. Thanks!

Trippah and Admin

Re: Best of these 101-proofers?

How much is Wild Turkey 101 in your area?

I've tasted the top two in your list and I can't recommend either. I've never tasted or encountered Old Williamsburg, so I can't comment there.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Turkey 101 is right in that same range, IIRC.

Guru

Same as Scott, never heard of Old Williamsburg.
    Turkeys and Eagles drop the best 101's.
    ovh

Guru

I would definitely go with the Wild Turkey 101 and/or the Old Charter 101. I've never had the OW and I found the OE a bit harsh tasting, as did a few of my friends. Even with a touch of water (I usually drink my bourbon neat) the OE didn't open up enough sweetness for me to want another bottle. Just my thoughts--others may disagree.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I echo the sentiment to stay away from all of these (particularly the Charter 101) and go with the WT101.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

Well, it looks like my instinct to usually favor the smaller and lesser-known over the the more major players was off-base here. I will still probably give one of these a try sometime but I will get some Turkey first. Thanks!

Enthusiast

I agree with everybody above. Charter 101 is almost undrinkable and WT101 is a great bourbon.

Connoisseur

It would seem that I am the only fan of Carter 101. It is a rough bourbon with a lot of flavor but I guess that is how I like them. I have never had the OE 101 but have had the Virgin 101 and I am under the understanding that these are the same juice from HH in different labels. The Virgin 101 is great and cheap. I think I paid 11.50 for 750ml. Old Williamsburg thought I have never had it I have heard that it is a younger HH product. So maybe the same as the OE just younger.
    All this said I would still rather buy a bottle of WT101.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post
    It would seem that I am the only fan of Carter 101. It is a rough bourbon with a lot of flavor but I guess that is how I like them. I have never had the OE 101 but have had the Virgin 101 and I am under the understanding that these are the same juice from HH in different labels. The Virgin 101 is great and cheap. I think I paid 11.50 for 750ml. Old Williamsburg thought I have never had it I have heard that it is a younger HH product. So maybe the same as the OE just younger.
    All this said I would still rather buy a bottle of WT101.
    I would generally agree with everybody else here. WT 101 is probably the best 101 choice, but I do like the Old Ezra 101 too. It is a great mixer.

This is a fun excercise though!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog