Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you have any favorite brand?

Not as much a favorite bottle from that brand but just that brand in general.

thanks

Im still a newbie but if i had to choose now it would be wild turkey because its what ive had the most of and i enjoy it we'll see in a few weeks when i try the rest of these bottles so my opinion might change

Guru

Re: Do you have any favorite brand?

There's so much out there that I like but I must say that I'm partial to the Van Winkles and the Wellers. I drink more of the latter for economic reasons, especially the Old Weller Antique, and tend to reserve my Van Winkle consumption for special occasions or quiet nights at home when I'm sitting alone listening to music.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by thunderhead View Post

thanks

Im still a newbie but if i had to choose now it would be wild turkey because its what ive had the most of and i enjoy it we'll see in a few weeks when i try the rest of these bottles so my opinion might change
    It is a hard question even though it sounds easy. Most god brands that I like a lot do have some bottling that I donít particularly like. Wild Turkey is a good example. The only brand that did pop up in my mind, that a have liked all bottling from (at least if I put in price as a factor) is George Dickel.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Disciple

Four Roses.

It's all good.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

My two favorite bottles are WT 101 (daily pour) and WLW (special pour) my favorite Distillery is BT followed very closely by FR.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    My two favorite bottles are WT 101 (daily pour) and WLW (special pour) my favorite Distillery is BT followed very closely by FR.
    i know what WT 101 is and i have no idea about the rest lol still a newbie don't know all the abrevations

Connoisseur

What used to be Barton's was mine. Tom Moore BIB is usually consumed everyday in my house. It is owned by the Trace now.

2nd would be the Turkey

3rd tie between the Hill and the Brown-Forman (NOT JACK )

Four Roses is new in Tejas and I have not made that leap yet.

Virtuoso

i know what WT 101 is and i have no idea about the rest lol still a newbie don't know all the abrevations
    WLW stands for William Larue Weller, which is a barrel proof version of the Weller wheat recipe.

My favorite distillery is definitely Buffalo trace. trying to sort by "brand" can be confusing- only a few distilleries label almost all of their product under their own name. Wild Turkey and four roses immediately come to mind as two that almost exclusively put their name on the bottle.

For example: Evan Williams and Elijah Craig use the same mashbill recipe. The difference is in the age, and in selection. Both are made by heaven hill, but the labels on the bottle don't say that. A current bottling of Elijah Craig states that it was "Distilled and Bottled by the Elijah Craig Distillery Co," While Evan Williams is made by "Old Evan Williams Distillery."
    If I didn't know anything about whiskies, would I assume that these two were completely different brands made by different distilleries?

There are plenty of other examples- Buffalo Trace uses the same mashbill to create Ancient Age, Elmer T. Lee Single barrel (often abbreviated ETL) and Rock Hill Farms. (I remember reading that info somewhere here on the site. If I'm wrong, please let me know- is Blanton's also part of this recipe? and where the heck does George T. Stagg fall into this lineup? which mashbill is that!?). To my knowledge none of these whiskies overtly state that they were made by Buffalo Trace.

Buffalo Trace also makes the whole Pappy/Weller line nowadays, but most of the people here are probably fans of Pappy-Weller from when it was produced by The Stitzel-Weller distillery. I have never tried any whiskey made by S-W (yet), and my favorite of what I have tried so far in that line is the Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old.

Wild Turkey puts the turkey name on (as far as I know) everything they make. Four roses does too- with the exception of Bulliet bourbon, and they produce that for a different company using a different (I think, someone please verify/deny me here) mashbill. Does that make it theirs?...

anyway, hope this was somewhat informative and not too confusing.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 10-14-2009 at 10:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Connoisseur

thanks

Really hard to say. As mentioned above, the brands run all over the place. Plus, I really like all the bourbons I've tried so far.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Guru

A couple years ago I would have said Wild Turkey. In a similar thread I may have. But with WTRR101 now just the ocational dusty and WTRB and WTKS shooting up in price, I've been drinking mostly BT products.

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    .....Wild Turkey puts the turkey name on (as far as I know) everything they make.
    I don't think the wild Turkey name can be found on the new RR Bourbon or RR Rye.